Bye bye...
I blame Gordon Brown for being there. :tantrum:

Troll
20th October 2007, 21:09
Hey Ho!

Tait
Moody
Corry

9 stupid penalty points & the margin at the end, not so much won by SA but lost by England

Credit to SA but also credit to our boys, they did more and got further than anyone expected

2003 World Cup holders
2007 World Cup Runners up - well done boys

Troll
20th October 2007, 21:10
... and of course the jinx of Brown strikes again.. fecking scottish twot

Cliphead
20th October 2007, 21:16
Hey Ho!

Tait
Moody
Corry

9 stupid penalty points & the margin at the end, not so much won by SA but lost by England

Credit to SA but also credit to our boys, they did more and got further than anyone expected

2003 World Cup holders
2007 World Cup Runners up - well done boys

A good run but giving away penalties lost the match, a shame. And Gordo of course...

PorkPie
20th October 2007, 21:24
Real shame, not convinced that the australian vid judge made the right decision on the try. Ah well. Great comp, thoroughly enjoyable. Ultimately I think the best team won it. Great effort from the lads though.

Moose423956
20th October 2007, 21:54
Real shame, not convinced that the australian vid judge made the right decision on the try. Ah well. Great comp, thoroughly enjoyable. Ultimately I think the best team won it. Great effort from the lads though.

I fancy a pork pie right now.

WindyAnna
20th October 2007, 22:44
It was a try, stupid penalties conceded by England, the best team won.

Nothing to be ashamed of tho'

Troll
20th October 2007, 22:53
Blame the muslims !

sasguru
20th October 2007, 23:53
Great effort from the lads though.

Aye.

wendigo100
21st October 2007, 09:04
Blame the muslims !Aye.

What muslims?

benn0
21st October 2007, 09:07
5-2 was about a fair result I would say.

Troll
21st October 2007, 09:37
Aye.

What muslims?phissed jest

tay
21st October 2007, 16:03
It was a try

No it wasnt.

Troll
21st October 2007, 16:11
No it wasnt.Great thing about ruggers is the refs decision is final...it was deemed out ergo it wasn't a try no point in wailing and gnashing of teeth and endless analysis, just live with it

Roll on the 6 nations ...we should be able to walk over all the lesser nations this year!

Troll
21st October 2007, 16:15
Saturday 2nd February 2008
14:00 GMT Ireland vs Italy Croke Park
16:30 GMT England vs Wales Twickenham

Sunday 3rd February 2008
15:00 GMT Scotland vs France Murrayfield

Saturday 9th February 2008
14:00 GMT Wales vs Scotland Millenium Stadium
16:00 GMT France vs Ireland Stade de France

Sunday 10th February 2008
14:30 GMT Italy vs England Stadio Flaminio

Saturday 23rd February 2008
15:00 GMT Wales vs Italy Millenium Stadium
17:00 GMT Ireland vs Scotland Croke Park
20:00 GMT France vs England Stade de France

Saturday 8th March 2008
13:15 GMT Ireland vs Wales Croke Park
15:15 GMT Scotland vs England Murrayfield

Sunday 9th March 2008
15:00 GMT France vs Italy Stade de France

Saturday 15th March 2008
13:00 GMT Italy vs Scotland Stadio Flaminio
15:00 GMT England vs Ireland Twickenham
17:00 GMT Wales vs France Millennium Stadium

sasguru
21st October 2007, 16:19
Aparently some minor countries are playing a match soon. As I've never heard of them, I can't be sure I've spelt them right..

Oztrailer vs New Zitland.

I think it's good for rugby that these smaller countries take it up, even if they're not very good at the moment.

wendigo100
21st October 2007, 17:54
It wasn't a try. Marginal, but that foot touched the sideline before he lifted it.

Still, it won sas his thirty pieces of silver. :wink

Ruprect
21st October 2007, 18:08
Unfortunately Hamilton ballsed it up as well, so not the best weekend for english sport :eyes

PorkPie
21st October 2007, 18:13
I fancy a pork pie right now.

Are you making a pass at me?

sasguru
21st October 2007, 19:14
It wasn't a try. Marginal, but that foot touched the sideline before he lifted it.

Still, it won sas his thirty pieces of silver. :wink

Aye am quaffing some Moet as we speak :laugh

wendigo100
21st October 2007, 20:04
Aye am quaffing some Moet as we speak :laughSo am I - I got £130 for the place - but I'm not choking on mine! :D

Trouble is, I've got to face that saffer woman tomorrow, who will be loud and full of sh1t... :(

Moose423956
21st October 2007, 20:57
Are you making a pass at me?

With mustard. English of course.

TheFaQQer
21st October 2007, 21:12
Aye am quaffing some Moet as we speak :laugh

Guess the bet wasn't for enough to buy some decent champagne.

kirk
21st October 2007, 21:41
hard luck Lewis - at least age is on your side and you're sure to win the title in the next few years!

Egg chasing - who cares!!!!

TheFaQQer
22nd October 2007, 07:31
hard luck Lewis - at least age is on your side and you're sure to win the title in the next few years!

There is also the Mansell precedent.

Last time the title was as close as this year was 1986, when Prost went into the last race in third and won the title, as this weekend. But, everyone knew that our Nige would win the title one day, which he duly did.

6 years later.

The Lone Gunman
22nd October 2007, 07:48
It wasn't about luck.
Ridiculous flouting of the rules when the opposition has superb penalty kickers in the team is not the brightest game plan.
We were thoroughly beaten in the line out, but held our own otherwise. We defended incredibly well and were possibly good enough to win apart from those penalties.
It wasn't a try. As much as Iwould lik it to have been. His toe touched and I think his knee was over before he actualy grounded.

No, all in all, the right result I think well done the Saffers.

Much praise to our team and management for a magnificent performance. I do hop ethey can keep it up. I do think they need to give some of the kids more of a run out now.
Sacrifice the 6 nations as a training scheme for the youth this year and go from there.

sunnysan
22nd October 2007, 08:30
Hmm, watched the game and could be forgiven for thinking I had tuned into the football by mistake.

I realise at that level its all about winning but FFS at least try to score some tries.

I would put foward that changes need to be made to the game to encourage less kicking and more rugby.

wendigo100
22nd October 2007, 08:46
Hmm, watched the game and could be forgiven for thinking I had tuned into the football by mistake.

I realise at that level its all about winning but FFS at least try to score some tries.

I would put foward that changes need to be made to the game to encourage less kicking and more rugby.All right, what about this then.

Instead of having all those confusing heaps of players where the ball is invisible, the tackled man is left alone to heel it back to a teammate and the game continues.

Oh, and limit the tackles to six - if you haven't scored a try by then, the ball goes to the other side to have a go.

That should brighten it up a bit.

tay
22nd October 2007, 08:51
It was a crap advertisemtn for the sport, amd the death knell for the current rules. The new experimental rules will be hastened. That final was an appalling advert for rugby. There was no attacking space at pace, no pick and go, no decent rollng mauls, just endless kicking and up and unders... induced by lack of any conatructive play.

Martin Johnson agrees.

England's sweet chariot had to turn sour
By Martin Johnson
Last Updated: 1:35am BST 22/10/2007

Have your say Read comments

Ah well, at least we'll now be spared the argument as to where it stands in the list of the world's greatest unsolved mysteries. No 1: the Mary Celeste. No 2: the Loch Ness Monster. No 3: How on earth did England win the 2007 Rugby World Cup?

Video referee right to disallow Mark Cueto try
The Amateur: Drowning the sorrows in Paris
Telegraph TV: Tears for England | In pics: England lose
The combination of a stadium situated in the middle of nowhere and another French rail strike didn't make life any rosier for English supporters as they trudged forlornly away into the night, and any form of primitive transport back into Paris would have been welcome. But finally, as we all thought it had to sooner or later, the sweet chariot itself had also ground to a halt.

Exhilarating: England's Mathew Tait breaks away
Up until the final, England had become the great survivors. Cast away on a desert island with a box of distress flares, but no other apparent means of sustaining life, they'd somehow managed to knock up a bijou beachfront apartment, and were dining out on coconut cocktails and grilled swordfish.

It was, though, too much to expect that they could actually win the tournament playing what you might call loincloth rugby, a compelling argument for the Darwinian theory of man's descent from the apes. Never has a team received so many bad luck messages before a big game, on the basis that the rest of the world didn't fancy having chimps for champs.

Mind you, South Africa more than played their part in turning the final match of an otherwise captivating tournament into a desperate advertisement for modern international rugby.

A kick-off close to bedtime, for the usual television-driven commercial reasons, made the urge to have someone turn off the floodlights so we could all get some sleep almost overpowering.

advertisementThere is a modern trend in all sports which presupposes that spectators are not capable of enjoying themselves without the provision of artificial entertainment, which is why you can't get through a one-day cricket match without having more parachutists descend from the sky than were deployed at Arnhem.

Here it was a French band, which burst into action every time there was a stoppage in play. The choice of music was a cross between old-time dancing, and the kind of Pathe newsreel ra-ra-ra that used to accompany those old British black and white wartime films, when the heroic tank commander (usually Sir John Mills) drove his Jeep triumphantly into town after liberating Benghazi.

The Great Escape only featured in the chanting from England's supporters, except that this time there wasn't to be one. Gordon Brown made the trip over, presumably to remind us that England had reached the final on a manifesto of austerity, thrift, and above all, a heavy taxation on the loyalties of all those who like a bit of joy in their rugby.

For all their admirable resilience and team bonding since their horrific pool defeat by South Africa, England have had more in common with a 1940s Churchill than Brown, in as much as they have nothing to offer their people other than toil and sweat. In four matches against the top-tier nations in this World Cup they've scored one try.

They nearly scored another early in the second half, following the only piece of genuinely exhilarating running rugby in the entire game, from Mathew Tait. It was, though, ruled out on video evidence, and although there was the consolation prize of a Jonny Wilkinson penalty to bring England within three points of the opposition, they never threatened to do anything quite as exciting again.

Mind you, South Africa offered precious little in this department either. All through this tournament Wilkinson has queried the pressure in the official World Cup balls, which is perhaps not surprising. It must be hard to keep the things properly inflated when the wind is being knocked out of them by ferocious application of the boot, and the only evidence of dazzling rugby came from players trying to spot the ball as it descended from the floodlights.

It's the modern way, it seems. Hoof the ball upfield to gain territory, and wait for the opposition to make a mistake running it back. Except that the opposition doesn't run it back, it does precisely the same thing.

Telegraph TV: Defeated in Paris
England might conceivably have won the game had they had 16 players, as they briefly did in the second half when a spectator – whose choice of shirt suggested that not all New Zealand supporters have yet made it home – ran on and joined an English ruck.

He will probably be in court this morning, with his French lawyer trying to get him off on the grounds that his urge to inject a bit of joie de vivre into the game constituted a crime of passion.

DBA_bloke
22nd October 2007, 08:57
I take it England lost, then? Was too busy over the weekend doing things like living a full life to be arsed watching a bunch of no-talents play a kids game. Sorry.

DBA_bloke
22nd October 2007, 09:04
I was watching an episode of The Sweeny on ITV4... it was quite good.:rolleyes:

Whereas I was watching the pilot episode of Columbo (the one with Gene Barry), which I got as part of a Columbo box set. Very good. Interesting to see how the Columbo character was developed for the first TV series, compared to the character in the pilot. I have all Sweeneys on DVD, naturally, as I am a proper bloke; not a noncy, poncy, whoops! get 'er! rugger bugger.

The Lone Gunman
22nd October 2007, 09:11
What on earth are some of you on?
The kicking game is as much part of the game as the running game as is the scrum the ruck and the maul.
As with any sport teams either play to their abilities or to the oppositions weaknesses. They should not be required to play what is currently regarded as entertaining.
Just because you consider it boring doesnt mean it is.
Any tactic that wins the game counts. Winning is what it is all about.
I enjoy all the skills and subtleties of each tactic.
Remember the only person to cross the try line ball in hand was English.

DBA_bloke
22nd October 2007, 09:18
The kicking game is as much part of the game as the running game as is the scrum the ruck and the maul.
As with any sport teams either play to their abilities or to the oppositions weaknesses. They should not be required to play what is currently regarded as entertaining.

Cwor! Who parped?

wendigo100
22nd October 2007, 09:22
Any tactic that wins the game counts.Quite right. You won't hear saffers complaining. Their name is on the pot again, and they are entitled to say bollocks to all the sour grapes.

daviejones
22nd October 2007, 09:24
I was watching an episode of The Sweeny on ITV4... it was quite good.:rolleyes:

Yeah, The Sweeney was class...

DBA_bloke
22nd October 2007, 09:26
Yeah, The Sweeney was class...

Best episode? I say "Poppy".

tay
22nd October 2007, 09:30

Wrong.

DaveB
22nd October 2007, 09:33

Thats the problem though, it's not as much a part of the game as the rest, it is virtually the entire game now. The predominant tactic is to get the ball close enough the the posts to kick a penalty ( by kicking it there ) and wait for the oposition to make a mistake.

The Lone Gunman
22nd October 2007, 09:34
Wrong.He may have also gone over the side line, but he went over the try line ball in hand.

Or have I missed something?

wendigo100
22nd October 2007, 09:35
Wrong.Who else did?

tay
22nd October 2007, 09:48
He may have also gone over the side line, but he went over the try line ball in hand.

Or have I missed something?#

No 'may' about it, he did, no try, the ball was dead, and your point is invalid. Maybe he could have run into the crowd then around the stadium, jumped back into the field of play.. and then you could claimed they crossed the line twice.. oh the attacking genius!:rolleyes:

The Lone Gunman
22nd October 2007, 09:54
#

No 'may' about it, he did, no try, the ball was dead, and your point is invalid. Maybe he could have run into the crowd then around the stadium, jumped back into the field of play.. and then you could claimed they crossed the line twice.. oh the attacking genius!:rolleyes:I never mentioned him scoring a try, I just stated that he crossed the line ball in hand. No matter the circumstances he did.
It is just your anti English bias (racism) that makes you snap.

Did he or didnt he cross the try line ball in hand?

tay
22nd October 2007, 10:09
It is just your anti English bias (racism) that makes you snap.

You accusing me of racism?

I know some english are having trouble accepting the loss, but please reign yourself in before you say anything even more silly.

wendigo100
22nd October 2007, 10:13
Did he or didnt he cross the try line ball in hand?He did. At least someone attempted to score a try!

We got further than expected - and further than the antipodeans! All in all, a good tournament for us.

Don't worry about their grumpy old sour-grapes fans. :wink

The Lone Gunman
22nd October 2007, 10:15
You accusing me of racism?

I know some english are having trouble accepting the loss, but please reign yourself in before you say anything even more silly.Original question too difficult was it.

tay
22nd October 2007, 10:16
Don't worry about the grumpy old sour-grapes antipodean.

You forgot to call me racist.

No matter the circumstances he did.

That sums up the stupidity of the discussion, shall we count the times the players ran over the try line with ball in hand during the warm ups?

tay
22nd October 2007, 10:18
Original question too difficult was it.

See above. The ball was DEAD.. players ran all over the field during warm ups with ball inn hand, shall we count that as well? No.. as its stupid.. bit like your point.

The Lone Gunman
22nd October 2007, 10:22
See above. The ball was DEAD.. players ran all over the field during warm ups with ball inn hand, shall we count that as well? No.. as its stupid.. bit like your point.I will take that as a yes then.

tay
22nd October 2007, 10:28
oooh your such an angry little cry baby.

Whats red and white and goes beep beep beep?
The England rugby teams open top bus getting reversed back into the garage.

Pondlife
22nd October 2007, 10:33
Being a Welshman I sometimes find it difficult to support England at anything but did put a bet on them to win on Sat. Based on the English performance in Qtrs and Semis I honestly thought they could do it.

Unfortunately I was bored to tears within 20 mins at the lack of attacking play by both sides (pens don't count as attacking play). Not sure if it was a try or not but it was the closest it got to excitement in an otherwise dull game. Neither side looked like they should really have been there TBH.

Well done on getting that far but looking at the tournament it was the right result.

BTW. Lineout was absolutely appalling!!!

My £0.02

Swiss Tony
22nd October 2007, 10:34
Common guys, it wasn’t a try. Reason: the ref said it wasn’t. End of story.

Lets not turn into the Kiwis by blaming the ref at every given opportunity. It was a close game, the best team won. We did well to get there in the first place. Considering how far behind the rest of the world we were at the beginning of the tournament they need to use this to build the team, get the youngsters involved and start winning consistently.

Ohh and the lineout was a disgrace !!

dang65
22nd October 2007, 10:35
Martin Johnson agrees.
Uh, you know that's not the actual Martin Johnson, it's just a bloke from the Telegraph that churns out a load of guff about any sport that happens to be in the news at the moment.

The real Martin Johnson is that bloke they had on the telly that was constantly rolling his eyes and sighing every time Jim Rosenthal opened his mouth.

tay
22nd October 2007, 10:48
Being a Welshman I sometimes find it difficult to support England at anything but did put a bet on them to win on Sat. Based on the English performance in Qtrs and Semis I honestly thought they could do it.

Unfortunately I was bored to tears within 20 mins at the lack of attacking play by both sides (pens don't count as attacking play). Not sure if it was a try or not but it was the closest it got to excitement in an otherwise dull game. Neither side looked like they should really have been there TBH.

Well done on getting that far but looking at the tournament it was the right result.

BTW. Lineout was absolutely appalling!!!

My £0.02

Careful! You will be accused of racism soon!

dang65
22nd October 2007, 10:49
On the radio this morning they had the priceless Ian Robertson explaining what actually happened:

The video ref and his assistants were an Aussie and a couple of other guys who didn't speak a word of French.

The video tape operators were a couple of French guys who didn't speak a word of English.

Apparently there were eight (count 'em) different camera angles of the Cueto incident. The video ref was saying, "more, more" to the tape ops, and the tape ops took this to mean the same two angles over and over. (Perhaps due to the word, "encore"?) Those shots were confusing as one looks like a definite try and one looks like his foot touched the line before he lifted it and placed the ball.

But apparently the other angles which weren't shown on the telly are completely clear and his foot went in to touch, end of story. Presumably those shots will turn up one day, but in the meantime it's a non-story.

It might not have been the most eventful or amazing game of rugby, but it was exciting right up to the last few minutes. A great end to a great RWC.

Does anyone happen to know what time the team are flying back and if it's Heathrow? I'm only about half an hour away and wouldn't mind going to join the reception, which I'm sure there will be. It was a stunning World Cup from England after even their most loyal fans had expected them to go out at the QFs, at best.

wendigo100
22nd October 2007, 10:53

Lets not turn into the Kiwis by blaming the ref at every given opportunity. It was a close game, the best team won. We did well to get there in the first place.Er, Swiss, I think you'll find that nobody here is claiming it was a try.

Tay seems to think we are, but he has reading difficulties. :D

Yes, on this occasion England did well to get to the final in the first place. Cause enough for celebration! :banana:

tay
22nd October 2007, 10:55
Tay seems to think we are, but he has reading difficulties.

No.... I have 'dealing with cry baby idiots posting pointless bullshit' difficulties. :wink

Churchill
22nd October 2007, 10:58
No.... I have 'dealing with cry baby idiots posting pointless bullshit' difficulties. :wink

cry baby?

Who?

sasguru
22nd October 2007, 11:02
I think the World Cup was excellent and I'm glad to see the progress that the minnows (NZ, Australia, Tonga etc.) have made. The established countries, like Argentina, will have to pull up their socks, methinks. :smile

wendigo100
22nd October 2007, 11:05
cry baby?

Who?Don't go blaming me.

TheFaQQer
22nd October 2007, 11:15
Does anyone happen to know what time the team are flying back and if it's Heathrow? I'm only about half an hour away and wouldn't mind going to join the reception, which I'm sure there will be. It was a stunning World Cup from England after even their most loyal fans had expected them to go out at the QFs, at best.

Lunchtime, whenever that may be. There's a press conference at Twickenham at 230 this afternoon.

TheFaQQer
22nd October 2007, 11:16
On the radio this morning they had the priceless Ian Robertson explaining what actually happened:

The video ref and his assistants were an Aussie and a couple of other guys who didn't speak a word of French.

The video tape operators were a couple of French guys who didn't speak a word of English.

Apparently there were eight (count 'em) different camera angles of the Cueto incident. The video ref was saying, "more, more" to the tape ops, and the tape ops took this to mean the same two angles over and over. (Perhaps due to the word, "encore"?) Those shots were confusing as one looks like a definite try and one looks like his foot touched the line before he lifted it and placed the ball.

But apparently the other angles which weren't shown on the telly are completely clear and his foot went in to touch, end of story. Presumably those shots will turn up one day, but in the meantime it's a non-story.

The video ref is quoted on the BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/7055964.stm) today as saying that his foot ran into touch by 25 to 30 cm.

(That's a real link, not a link to the Threaded sh1te video)

dang65
22nd October 2007, 11:45
The video ref is quoted on the BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/7055964.stm) today as saying that his foot ran into touch by 25 to 30 cm.

(That's a real link, not a link to the Threaded sh1te video)
Shame that Cueto is (assuming press reports correct) still claiming it was a try. Maybe if someone showed him the 30cm in touch footage he could save himself from having to take his certainty to the grave.

dang65
22nd October 2007, 11:47
Lunchtime, whenever that may be. There's a press conference at Twickenham at 230 this afternoon.
Ah, right, think I've probably missed the opportunity there then. :(