• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

School fees paid for returning asylum seekers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right... enough of the Rugby ...back to normal stuff.

Free education, accommodation and cash handouts are to be given to failed asylum seekers to encourage them to return home under a Home Office scheme, it emerged yesterday.
    The packages could be worth many thousands of pounds for a family of four depending on their circumstances. Officials said taxpayers could end up paying for up to three years of schooling, especially for children who had forgotten their native tongue.

They would also pay for three months' accommodation and child care for single mothers who have to work. Some families would be offered money to start their own business.
    At the moment, asylum seekers who return voluntarily each receive a £3,500 "relocation grant" in cash. This is payable even to babies born here. On top of that, a business start-up payment of £31,000 is available.

The £3,500 payment will stay but the business grant will be increased to £31,500 – with a further £3,500 after six months if the enterprise is still going. Families with a lot of baggage will even have their excess luggage charges met at the airport.When they get home, if they have no relatives or friends to stay with they will be given money for basic accommodation for up to 12 weeks.

Children who have grown up in Britain and cannot speak their own language may need to go to a fee-paying international school for at least a year. Fees could be paid for children at a state school because some countries charge if the family has been out of the country and has paid no taxes.
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Amount sounds about right for a course of beginners flying course...

Comment

Only yesterday I was thinking to myself that Troll hasn't been about much with his cut 'n' paste antics.

And as if by magic...

How's it going CD?

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
        So if I return some asylum seekers, The Powers That Be will pay for me to go back to school? School was tulip, why would I want to go back there?
        Last edited by NickFitz; 21 October 2007, 04:01. Reason: Corrected hanging participle.

Comment

Working...
        X