• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advertising and Websites

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advertising and Websites

Hi,

I am thinking of setting up a website for my company; basically just want a presence, where I can advertise basic details of the company, clients etc. Want minimal hassle and cost in setting up and hosting.

Anyone got any advice on companies to use/personal hosting etc. Do I need to run my own DNS if I host it at home?

Thanks.
    We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it.
    - Douglas Adams

Originally posted by PorkPie View Post
    Hi,

I am thinking of setting up a website for my company; basically just want a presence, where I can advertise basic details of the company, clients etc. Want minimal hassle and cost in setting up and hosting.

Anyone got any advice on companies to use/personal hosting etc. Do I need to run my own DNS if I host it at home?

Thanks.
    I'm sure any minute now you will receive a PM from someone off this forum offering to do you a website and host it. Nothing wrong with a quote from them. In the past i have used a company called Easily which seemed good at the time (2 years ago) all web based...email domain names and forwarding just simple set my Dreamweaver up to connect with site and pressed submit.
    Thats the way the cookie crumbles

Comment

Hi,
      Do I need to run my own DNS if I host it at home?
      If you really wanted to host it from home (I assume on a computer connected via a router to an ADSL/cable line), you'd need to:

1) use your domain provider's control panel to point the A record of the domain to your ADSL/cable IP address,
      2) set up a host header on the computer at home to point visitors to the correct website,
      3) open up port 80 on your home router and point it to the internal IP of the computer hosting your site.

This is all assuming that your cable/ADSL provider allows incoming traffic on port 80. I wouldn't recommend bothering with all this hassle when "proper" hosting is so cheap these days.

Comment

Thanks.
        What about freehostia.com, choose the free option and it is really easy to use and good control panel.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooperinliverp00l View Post
          I'm sure any minute now you will receive a PM from someone off this forum offering to do you a website and host it. Nothing wrong with a quote from them. In the past i have used a company called Easily which seemed good at the time (2 years ago) all web based...email domain names and forwarding just simple set my Dreamweaver up to connect with site and pressed submit.

I use Easily as well, and Moonfruit for the Website.

www.epcs.me.uk
          Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Originally posted by chicane View Post
            This is all assuming that your cable/ADSL provider allows incoming traffic on port 80. I wouldn't recommend bothering with all this hassle when "proper" hosting is so cheap these days.
            No but running a website / e-mail server from home is a great way to justify 100% of your home adsl / phone line rental bills.

So what if they are the "backup" servers that only kick in should 1&1 be down for more than an hour. HMRC dont understand IT.

Comment

I can do setting up a website for my company; basically just want a presence, where I can advertise basic details of the company, clients etc. Want minimal hassle and cost in setting up and hosting with much quickness and plenty cheepness.

Bob Shawadiwadi
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

The cheapest / easiest option Ive found is the office live one - free!
                You can choose your domain name, bring a website live, and emails in about 24 hours. MS even register your domain name free - then you can hike it elsewhere in the future if you choose to! It took me about 3 hours to get my website nice. Very basic website though on the free model - will take some html code though. You cant upload a website - but you can cut / paste.
                Email on the basic one is only internet based I think - havent found a way of downloading them yet.
                I only signed up & brought it live on Wednesday - but it seems reasonable.

The only advert it has live on mine is for Office live - no issue.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Still trying to decide whether or not its actually worth it
                  We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it.
                  - Douglas Adams

Comment

Thanks for the info. Still trying to decide whether or not its actually worth it
                    Of course it is worth it. Internet is the biggest form of advertising. I don't know what field you are in, but generally if someone wants a services they will google it, once you have set up your website, its worth signing an account with google and viewing google analytics, if you ever need advice on free marketing for your site, just pm me.

Comment

Working...
                    X