• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency commission

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agency commission

Excuse the 'obvious' question from a first timer...

A position is advertised at say £40/hour.

Is that what I get paid from the agency i.e. they add commission on top of this and charge the client £50 or whatever... or
    Do the agency take their commission out of the £40 so I get less.

Or does it depend on the agency/contract?

One agency said they were 'transparent on their rates which were between 18% and 21%'. This means nothing to me but obviously it should.

Can anyone enlighten me please

It means that £40/hr is the minimum that you should consider taking. However the agent is expecting you to haggle so you should ask for around £45/£50. If you go for exactly £40 then the agent will just charge you out at £60 keep the difference.

If the agent were telling the truth at say 20%, then the rate would be £50 he would keep 20% and you would get £40. But it would be a very unusual agent to be telling the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post
      But it would be a very unusual agent to be telling the truth.
      I think they implode if they even try.
      "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
        I think they implode if they even try.
        This assumes, and it is a big assumption, that an agent knows what the truth is in order that they might try.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Threaded - first question - have you put that youtube link in every single post since you uploaded it? Second question - are you competing to get the highest no. of unique hits/views or something?

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
            Threaded - first question - have you put that youtube link in every single post since you uploaded it? Second question - are you competing to get the highest no. of unique hits/views or something?
            All will be revealed on Thursday, possibly somewhere near Jagtvej 69, along with a leg shaving ceremony.

Comment

threaded, what is your avatar? Is it a load of sumo wrestlers bending down?

Comment

it also assumes there is a job in the first place...
                Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Originally posted by Moose423956 View Post
                  It is a batch of sausage rolls he made for a light healthy snack one morning. Apparently they looked so good he took their picture. They took longer to make than they did to eat by some distance.
                  I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                  Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by Moose423956 View Post
                    Very good! I think we may have someone here who 'gets' the video.

Comment

Working...
                    X