• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

oh dear: Hiddink mocks England's tactics

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh dear: Hiddink mocks England's tactics

Hiddink mocks England's tactics
    Russia coach Guus Hiddink

Russia coach Guus Hiddink has claimed England are a team that panics under pressure and are tactically naive.

Russia beat England 2-1 last week to put Euro 2008 qualification in their own hands and leave Steve McClaren's men relying on their rivals' results.

Hiddink told BBC Radio 5live: "When you put pressure on England they drop back like a handball team around their area.

"And I was very happy to see England's defence because they played with four central defenders in there."

England coach McClaren picked Everton's Joleon Lescott as cover for the injured Ashley Cole at left-back, with Micah Richards - also a central defender for his club Manchester City - on the opposite flank.

And Hiddink feels that played into Russia's hands.

He added on 5live's Sportsweek programme: "I was very happy to see England line up with Lescott on their left side.

"We played with two attackers but also a very mobile midfielder and we forced England's left midfielder Joe Cole to be a left full-back.

"It meant we ended up with a two-on-one situation and were able to penetrate on our right side, their left.

"When we put pressure on them they were panicking and they could not get hold of the ball or gain any control."

England took the lead in Moscow through Wayne Rooney and Hiddink admitted it was "a big blow" to deal with.

However, Hiddink insisted he felt his team would score - and they equalised when they were awarded a penalty, given despite Rooney's foul on Konstanin Zurianov taking place just outside the area.

Hiddink feels the decision evened out an injustice when Russia had a goal disallowed for offside during their 3-0 defeat by England at Wembley.

He said: "The contact for the penalty started outside the area and continued inside. But if the referee has any doubts, under the new rule the attacking team will get the advantage.

"We did not complain about a legal goal we scored at Wembley which would have made it 1-1 and turned the game, so in the end it all balances itself out.

"I think you have to look at your own team and how you can improve in order to avoid these tricky situations."

Roman Pavluchenko scored from the spot and then struck the winner four minutes later to leave Russia in control of their own qualifying destiny.

Wins against Israel and Andorra will send Russia through and mean England will not reach the finals.

Hiddink, though, said he was not sure whether the calls for McClaren to be sacked are right.

"I don't know if you should hang the coach because of one result," he said.

"England had a bad game against us, but it is difficult to judge from the outside. The people on the inside and the press should do that."

--

English footballers should learn from their rugby collegues, IMO

He's spot on, sadly....
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

What does he know? First time he's beaten England in eight attempts and suddenly he's a tactical genius!

He is right though, English players are not brought up steeped in tactical nous like most European players.

We aren't brought up with skills in "winning" free kicks and penalties either. Gerrard gets his share in the Premiership, but he can't seem to do it for England.

Comment

Hiddink is a master manipulator of the media.
        Anyway waht happend to the Sun story this weekend that Mourinho was interested in the England job?
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

He may be right. Premiership teams have generally underperformed in Europe, though this doesn't say much since most of the players here are foreign even if their football is 'English'.

Then again England could just be crap.
          Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            Hiddink is a master manipulator of the media.
            Sounds like he can get a nice job in Nu Liebor election campaign team

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              Anyway waht happend to the Sun story this weekend that Mourinho was interested in the England job?
              Don't know but I cannot see him taking it.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100 View Post
                Don't know but I cannot see him taking it.
                It's all down to the cold, hard cash in the end.
                And he's probably egotistical enough to think he can succeed.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

He is not stupid - to have disaster while being English coach will put him out of top jobs elsewhere, which is why he won't take any of the national teams while he can milk clubs for years to come.

Comment

I liked Alex Fergusons comments last week:

"I think it says a lot that there are more Scots playing in the Champions League this season than there are English players," said Ferguson
                    Seems to me that there's something more to be read into that ...
                    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Working...
                    X