• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Work PC 'upgrade'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Work PC 'upgrade'

The PC I use at work was supposedly 'upgraded' at the weekend... here are the fabulous changes:

IE7 removed, IE6 installed
    All cookies deleted
    Admin rights revoked
    Screen res fixed at an awful low setting
    Gfx performance is completely shot - maximising and minimising is all jerky
    All my ODBC datasource settings deleted
    All files in explorer now show their extension too (??)

GrrrRRRrr!!!!
    It's about time I changed this sig...

Some of that sounds like the daily lockdown applied on a government project I worked on. Every feckin' morning you had to reset your Windows and MS Office defaults all over again.

Feckin useless, and when I complained about it to the so-called Help desk, they couldn't understand the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
      The PC I use at work was supposedly 'upgraded' at the weekend... here are the fabulous changes:

IE7 removed, IE6 installed
      All cookies deleted
      Admin rights revoked
      Screen res fixed at an awful low setting
      Gfx performance is completely shot - maximising and minimising is all jerky
      All my ODBC datasource settings deleted
      All files in explorer now show their extension too (??)

GrrrRRRrr!!!!
      Sounds like you just upgraded to Vista
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        Sounds like you just upgraded to Vista
        People who knock Microsoft for crappy version of OS probably forgot that they have it from time to time - MS DOS 4.0, Windows ME, now Vista - they always go through some crappy dead branch, just like Intel does and probably any other company that existed more than few years.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          People who knock Microsoft for crappy version of OS probably forgot that they have it from time to time - MS DOS 4.0, Windows ME, now Vista - they always go through some crappy dead branch, just like Intel does and probably any other company that existed more than few years.
          You love Vista

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            Doesnt stop it being crap though. Does this mean we should stop pointing out bad products just beacause the co. responcible has made a couple of good ones in the past?

Fireman : I'm sorry madam, you house burnt down when your new Phillips steam iron shorted out and caught fire.

Mrs Thring : Oh thats terrible, still, never mind, I had one of their televisions a few years ago, it was very good!
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
              Doesnt stop it being crap though. Does this mean we should stop pointing out bad products just beacause the co. responcible has made a couple of good ones in the past?
              In AtW's defence I don't think he was saying that, was he? Just observing that MS produce crap from time to time.

Comment

I've never used Vista. They did keep XP installed, so I'll consider myself lucky. Oh and they didn't revoke my internet access so that's another plus.
                It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100 View Post
                  In AtW's defence I don't think he was saying that, was he? Just observing that MS produce crap from time to time.
                  ATW loves Bill Gates. Sends him Valentine cards, choccies, the lot.

Comment

guys guys get a Mac and all your problems will be over
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X