PDA

View Full Version : Work PC 'upgrade'

MrRobin
22nd October 2007, 13:12
The PC I use at work was supposedly 'upgraded' at the weekend... here are the fabulous changes:

IE7 removed, IE6 installed
All cookies deleted
Admin rights revoked
Screen res fixed at an awful low setting
Gfx performance is completely shot - maximising and minimising is all jerky
All my ODBC datasource settings deleted
All files in explorer now show their extension too (??)

GrrrRRRrr!!!! :devil:mad::bang:

wendigo100
22nd October 2007, 13:18
Some of that sounds like the daily lockdown applied on a government project I worked on. Every feckin' morning you had to reset your Windows and MS Office defaults all over again.

Feckin useless, and when I complained about it to the so-called Help desk, they couldn't understand the problem.

DaveB
22nd October 2007, 14:38
The PC I use at work was supposedly 'upgraded' at the weekend... here are the fabulous changes:

IE7 removed, IE6 installed
All cookies deleted
Admin rights revoked
Screen res fixed at an awful low setting
Gfx performance is completely shot - maximising and minimising is all jerky
All my ODBC datasource settings deleted
All files in explorer now show their extension too (??)

GrrrRRRrr!!!! :devil:mad::bang:

Sounds like you just upgraded to Vista :)

AtW
22nd October 2007, 14:51
Sounds like you just upgraded to Vista :)

People who knock Microsoft for crappy version of OS probably forgot that they have it from time to time - MS DOS 4.0, Windows ME, now Vista - they always go through some crappy dead branch, just like Intel does and probably any other company that existed more than few years.

DBA_bloke
22nd October 2007, 15:33
People who knock Microsoft for crappy version of OS probably forgot that they have it from time to time - MS DOS 4.0, Windows ME, now Vista - they always go through some crappy dead branch, just like Intel does and probably any other company that existed more than few years.

You love Vista
:laugh

DaveB
22nd October 2007, 15:41

Doesnt stop it being crap though. Does this mean we should stop pointing out bad products just beacause the co. responcible has made a couple of good ones in the past?

Fireman : I'm sorry madam, you house burnt down when your new Phillips steam iron shorted out and caught fire.

Mrs Thring : Oh thats terrible, still, never mind, I had one of their televisions a few years ago, it was very good!

wendigo100
22nd October 2007, 15:49
Doesnt stop it being crap though. Does this mean we should stop pointing out bad products just beacause the co. responcible has made a couple of good ones in the past?In AtW's defence I don't think he was saying that, was he? Just observing that MS produce crap from time to time.

MrRobin
22nd October 2007, 15:52
I've never used Vista. They did keep XP installed, so I'll consider myself lucky. Oh and they didn't revoke my internet access so that's another plus.

DBA_bloke
22nd October 2007, 15:52
In AtW's defence I don't think he was saying that, was he? Just observing that MS produce crap from time to time.

ATW loves Bill Gates. Sends him Valentine cards, choccies, the lot.

scooterscot
22nd October 2007, 15:55
guys guys get a Mac and all your problems will be over ;)

TheFaQQer
22nd October 2007, 16:00
ATW loves Bill Gates. Sends him Valentine cards, choccies, the lot.

:spel AtW

DBA_bloke
22nd October 2007, 16:01
:spel AtW

:spel TheFuQQer

DaveB
22nd October 2007, 16:04
guys guys get a Mac and all your problems will be over ;)

I'm working on it. Waiting till the new version of the OS is released. In the meantime trying to persuade the Co. Sec. that the Co. can afford it :)

TheFaQQer
22nd October 2007, 16:16
:spel TheFuQQer

You are Royal Albert (http://forums.contractoruk.com/accounting-legal/21881-divorce-being-blackmailed-2.html?highlight=fuqqer) and I claim my five pounds, to be paid off-shore so that I can hide it from my blackmailing wife and turf my kid onto the street.

Hevra
22nd October 2007, 16:29
I wish they'd upgrade my work computer, my home pc's graphics card has more memory than this heap of crap...

There's more than a touch of Harryhausen about the way this thing swaps from one window to another...

Hevra

TheFaQQer
23rd October 2007, 08:16
What?

You get little clay dinosaurs changing the pixels one by one?

A nice surreal image.

Hevra
23rd October 2007, 09:53
What?

You get little clay dinosaurs changing the pixels one by one?

Only when I've put the 'special' sugar in my tea...

Hevra

swamp
23rd October 2007, 10:34
Contractors are often given the rubbish computer that no one else wants.

They think getting a 'good' computer should be a perk for management and senior permies. What they don't realise, of course, is that contractors actually use their computers to do 'work', and it would be a good idea to give them the fastest machine in the office.

daviejones
23rd October 2007, 10:36
What they don't realise, of course, is that contractors actually use their computers to do 'work'.

What planet are you on? By work, do you mean as opposed to this forum then?

Hevra
23rd October 2007, 12:21
I'm a permie, I've tried the 'I'd get more work done if I didn't have to sit here listening to the grinding of the HD labouring to cope with having a spreadsheet, word document and the crap timesheet entry system all open at the same time' line...

Didn't work though :(

Hevra