• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Quandry

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quandry

Don't worry, this isn't an (a) versus (b) thing.

When I left university I wanted to work for a specific company (Fair, Isaac - the inventors of credit scoring ). They knocked me back and didn't even interview me. Infatuated by them as I was - and I'm still impressed with the work that they do - I vowed to not work for them. Bitter, moi?

Yesterday, I took a call from their EMEA HR Director (who I know socially) asking me how much it'd cost them to take my off contracting and on to permanence.

If you were in this position, what would you do, and what number would you give them?
    Have patience. In time, even grass becomes milk.

What are you after? The kudos thing or dollars? Make up your mind and it'll all happen the way it should. Anyway, you'll be a pile of frozen polar bear dung soon, so who cares?

Comment

Originally posted by DBA_bloke View Post
      What are you after? The kudos thing or dollars? Make up your mind and it'll all happen the way it should. Anyway, you'll be a pile of frozen polar bear dung soon, so who cares?
      No massive plan to become polar bear output any time soon

Both the kudos and the dollars are good.
      Last edited by chasingtheaurora; 23 October 2007, 09:38.
      Have patience. In time, even grass becomes milk.

Comment

It depends on why you contract.

I contract so that I can take lots of time off every so often - very few permie jobs will pay me to work 9 months of the year. I don't earn a great deal more than I did when I was permie, but I do work a lot less.

If you are in it for the money, then you just need to work out what you typically earn in a year, and then add a premium on it for lack of holidays, and deduct anything that you think is worthwhile, e.g. job security, bonus etc.

A permie job would bore me, unless it was with another consultancy - in which case the management there would bore me. When I left permiedom, it was under the theory that if I was going to work for an idiot, that idiot may as well be me!
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Quandary

Before someone else gets in

Hevra

Comment

Originally posted by chasingtheaurora View Post
            Don't worry, this isn't an (a) versus (b) thing.

When I left university I wanted to work for a specific company (Fair, Isaac - the inventors of credit scoring ). They knocked me back and didn't even interview me. Infatuated by them as I was - and I'm still impressed with the work that they do - I vowed to not work for them. Bitter, moi?

Yesterday, I took a call from their EMEA HR Director (who I know socially) asking me how much it'd cost them to take my off contracting and on to permanence.

If you were in this position, what would you do, and what number would you give them?
            Life is far too short to hold a grudge.

Now think about the position without the history and what would you do?

Comment

Working...
            X