• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

should I stay or should I go now...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

should I stay or should I go now...

..as the song goes.

Current gig is due to end in a couple of weeks. Client has asked if I'd like to stay (which is nice).

However...

It started out as a Java / C++ bugfixing role (which is OK - I'm a developer really but I don't mind fixing other peoples bugs sometimes) but laterly has decayed into software packaging and shell scripts (omg like, ewwwww...)

I tried the old market rates have moved on bit and client was initially open to posibility of increase but then remembered that I was on a higher than average (for them) rate already - agency had initially told me a higher rate to get my interest and then tried to drop it when I got offered the role - I stood my ground and client increased slightly and agency dropped a bit.

So anyways, I have the option to stay but it looks unlikely that I'll get a rate increase and the work is getting really depressing (seriously, if I have to look at another shell script I'll scream).. But... I'd liked to have done another 3 months to get me past crimbo and I suspect the chances of getting another local contract this year are slim.

Decisions.. decisions...

Still, off to Whitby later this week for a few days so maybe a break will help!
    Do what thou wilt

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
    ..as the song goes.

Current gig is due to end in a couple of weeks. Client has asked if I'd like to stay (which is nice).

However...

It started out as a Java / C++ bugfixing role (which is OK - I'm a developer really but I don't mind fixing other peoples bugs sometimes) but laterly has decayed into software packaging and shell scripts (omg like, ewwwww...)

I tried the old market rates have moved on bit and client was initially open to posibility of increase but then remembered that I was on a higher than average (for them) rate already - agency had initially told me a higher rate to get my interest and then tried to drop it when I got offered the role - I stood my ground and client increased slightly and agency dropped a bit.

So anyways, I have the option to stay but it looks unlikely that I'll get a rate increase and the work is getting really depressing (seriously, if I have to look at another shell script I'll scream).. But... I'd liked to have done another 3 months to get me past crimbo and I suspect the chances of getting another local contract this year are slim.

Decisions.. decisions...

Be non-committal at the moment - look for something else. If nothing comes in soon, then stick where you are.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

If being local is important then stay for the 3 months - it's not forever is it? Or have a shifty look round the market befopre committing to anything. Oh and enjoy Whitby, fab place.

Comment

negotiate for as much as you can at current gig. look for a gig elsewhere. personally I prefer to stay in work.

if you stay in work then perfect role will come up. drop current gig and nothing will appear.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
          ..as the song goes.

However...

OMG, WTF? That sounds like a PITA, FFS, IIABDFI...RRFLMAO. Like that like.
          "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Originally posted by daviejones View Post
            Woah - dooooooode!! Like chill,like,man.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by daviejones View Post
              lol

Do what thou wilt

Comment

Originally posted by WindyAnna View Post
                If being local is important then stay for the 3 months - it's not forever is it? Or have a shifty look round the market befopre committing to anything.
                I know thats the sensible choice but it's just got like, so boring here now - I'm really not sure I can face another script

Still I don't want to be on the bench till March - I've got hols booked in Feb so I guess 3 months more here then Feb/March off and start looking again in April (which is kinda what happened this year)...

Originally posted by WindyAnna View Post
                Oh and enjoy Whitby, fab place.
                Always hun - must try not to blow profits on all the fab clothes
                Do what thou wilt

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  Woah - dooooooode!! Like chill,like,man.
                  Like sorry like dooooode...workin on it. BRB, BIAB.
                  "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Working...
                  X