• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Home made sputnik... help please

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home made sputnik... help please

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7049002.stm

Right now I've built it does anyone have any ideas on how I should get it into orbit? They seem to have left off that bit.

Next week they're making a Voyager II replica, I hope they include the bit that tells me how to get it beyond the boundaries of our solar system.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

That's not Sputnik. Sputnik was round. FFS.

Comment

I've got a replica of that Beagle thing. I made it by dropping an microwave off a block of flats.
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Add a battery and perhaps a fan programmed to come on when the temperature rises above a certain level
        Hahahaha!!! What will that do exactly?? IT IS A VACUUM! Actually the only thing this will do is increase the heat, from the fan motor, and start spinning the craft in the opposite direction to the blades.

BBC muppets.
        It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

The contents of the case are not in a vacuum. It says so further down.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
            I've got a replica of that Beagle thing. I made it by dropping an microwave off a block of flats.
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Oh yes, so it does. Well this is just more nonsense... what is the point of that? You'd be massively adding to the weight by encasing it all in a pressure vessel and for what - to measure the pressure of the earth's atmosphere, in space?!

Comment

The air is for the hamster, silly! The real question is how big does the elastic band need to be so I can launch it?
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  Still can't understand why it needs a fan though.
                  Exactly, if you want to control the temp of components in a satellite you need to thermally couple or decouple them from the structure so they can conduct heat away or are insulated from the rapid, large fluctuations in environment outside.

As said already, switching on a fan will also make the craft start spinning in the opposite direction.

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
                    As said already, switching on a fan will also make the craft start spinning in the opposite direction.
                    Ah that’s where the hamster comes in, he runs on a wheel in the opposite direction to counter balance the torque of the fan, the wheel is connected to a generator that charges the battery that runs the fan that keeps him cool.... Genius.

Well that’s how NASA would have designed it, which reminds me of the old (wildly exaggerated) story about the zero gravity pen they designed whilst the Russians just used a pencil.

Comment

Working...
                    X