• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Evening Work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evening Work

Dear All,

I am currently working full-time and hence get my salary monthly via my employers standard PAYE System. I have recently been offered EVENING contracting work for few hours everyday for a private company. What is the best way for this? Shall i go with an umbrella company to sort out this extra payment? Is this possible at all? Will there be any intervention from my current employer?? Under normal circumstances, i do not want to make my current employer aware of this extra/evening work. Please advise.

Originally posted by sumeet_khokhani View Post
    Dear All,

I am currently working full-time and hence get my salary monthly via my employers standard PAYE System. I have recently been offered EVENING contracting work for few hours everyday for a private company. What is the best way for this? Shall i go with an umbrella company to sort out this extra payment? Is this possible at all? Will there be any intervention from my current employer?? Under normal circumstances, i do not want to make my current employer aware of this extra/evening work. Please advise.
    You'll want to take a look at your contract of employment. Most employers do NOT look favourably on employees who moonlight even in jobs unrelated to their daytime work. If they find out you've been doing work similar to what you do during the day they're going to get VERY annoyed.
    It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

If you're going direct, then they can pay you direct and you just declare it on your tax return.

If you're going through an agency, then you'll need an umbrella or Ltd.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        If you're going direct, then they can pay you direct and you just declare it on your tax return.

If you're going through an agency, then you'll need an umbrella or Ltd.
        Doesn't this count as self-employment though? If it is you have to register with HMRC and fork out for Class 2 contributions (about a tenner a month). You also have to fill in a separate tax form for self-employment, which is not too difficult (providing you get less than 15 grand a year).
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Cash in hand or not worth the bother ...
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
            Doesn't this count as self-employment though? If it is you have to register with HMRC and fork out for Class 2 contributions (about a tenner a month). You also have to fill in a separate tax form for self-employment, which is not too difficult (providing you get less than 15 grand a year).
            Yes.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
              yes, 100% correct
              The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
                yes, 100% correct
                Keep it up Chef - you're nearly at the (semi) magical 500 posts.
                +50 Xeno Geek Points
                Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

ooo yes, i should choose my moment carefully with a witty comment or anecdote
                  The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by sumeet_khokhani View Post
                    Dear All,

Is it McDonalds?

Comment

Working...
                    X