• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Back ache

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back ache

I believe some of the congregation suffer from this affliction.

Was doing a bit of DIY at the w/end which has caused my lower back to stiffen up somewhat.

Fortunately, am still mobile but it's a pain as am currently trying to get fitter.

Anyone have any tips on exercises to do whilst suffering from pain which will aid lower back mobility and enable me to re-focus on back strengthening exercises?

(As an aside, was suffering from similar back pain a few years ago and went skiing which I thought was silly. Whilst skiing, my back was good as gold without so much as a twinge. Get back to my normal routine, and within a few weeks it started playing up again).

I've suffered a bit from back pain in the past.
    Though the DIY episode sounds like the 'muscles I haven't used in years' syndome.
    As you've noticed from the Skiing experience, it's a good idea to keep a bad back moving (and warm).

Don't be tempted to stay in bed, worst possible option.
    Get up, go to work, above all keep on invoicing.........
    Can you work standing up (seriously)?

RS

Comment

You should try trundling about in a dustbin with bobbles on it and an egg-whisk sticking out the front.

Comment

Sympathies, I have had a couple of muscle strains over the years that have left me in agony for a few days. Hefty drugs from the doc take the edge off but not by much ! Amazing how you need your back to every single action, even sitting or lying down.
        Make sure you have a decent mattress, I had minor back twinges for a long while which I just put down to age, over exertion etc. spent a chunk of cash on a new mattress - (Slumberland Dreamaster deluxe 2400 !) and they all went away.
        Some good news - seem to clear up very quickly, you can be in agony one day and more or less sorted the next.
        I could barely walk so doing anything beyond slight movement was impossible, suggest you take it easyish but keep moving around for a few days.
        good luck

Comment

Just try laying down as often as possible on the floor. Speak to the quack if it goes on too long. Er, that's it.

Comment

I'd strongly recommend getting yourself off to the GP and then to an osteopath. Lower back pain is a major cause of time off work and limiter of life-enjoyment!
            Have patience. In time, even grass becomes milk.

Comment

If you have back muscle pain (incl Sciatica) and want immediate relief whilst you decide on a longer term solution. I recomend a tennis ball.

Put the ball up against the wall, and stand with your back pressed up against it, so the ball is squeezed between the wall and the sore muscles of your back. Move your back around and use the ball to deep massage the sore muscles, it will loosen them up and give alot of relief. The ball is hard enough to get at the knotted muscles, and soft enough not to vruise, its like a self massage.

Comment

Working...
              X