PDA

View Full Version : Advanced Calculus

sasguru
24th October 2007, 13:31
I need to brush up on this quickly - multi-variable calculus including partial differentiation, improper and multiple integrals. Just need an overview.
Any maths gurus out there who can recommend a good, concise overview?
My basic calculus is OK.

DimPrawn
24th October 2007, 13:32
Milan's just changing a tape, he'll give you a hand when he gets back.

HTH

threaded
24th October 2007, 13:35
I need to brush up on this quickly - multi-variable calculus including partial differentiation, improper and multiple integrals. Just need an overview.
Just the same really, except the numbers are unreal until you want them to be.

Any maths gurus out there who can recommend a good, concise overview?
Yes

My basic calculus is OK.
You'd be stuffed then.

MrRobin
24th October 2007, 13:36
I have found Schaum's Outline (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Schaums-Outline-Advanced-Calculus-Second/dp/0071375678/ref=sr_1_2/026-2348474-9714800?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1193232303&sr=8-2) books to be very good to help brush up on skills. They are pretty cheap, concise, cover many topics and use lots of examples rather than going through lengthly derivations. I have recently been working through the statistics and probability ones and found them to be very useful.

chasingtheaurora
24th October 2007, 13:40
PM'd you.

NotAllThere
24th October 2007, 13:42
Spivak

What else is there?

sasguru
24th October 2007, 13:44
I have found Schaum's Outline (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Schaums-Outline-Advanced-Calculus-Second/dp/0071375678/ref=sr_1_2/026-2348474-9714800?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1193232303&sr=8-2) books to be very good to help brush up on skills. They are pretty cheap, concise, cover many topics and use lots of examples rather than going through lengthly derivations. I have recently been working through the statistics and probability ones and found them to be very useful.

Thanks - had a look on Amazon, sounds just the ticket and at the right price.
Looks like Foyles this evening, then.

Sockpuppet
24th October 2007, 13:47
Tell me what level of "basic" you are good at. Doing a OU Degree with calculus included and the majority of the course materials could be liberated as pdfs.

sasguru
24th October 2007, 13:48
Spivak

What else is there?

Will have a look at that too, although from the contents it doesn't seem to do multi-variable?

MrRobin
24th October 2007, 13:49
Good luck. Don't envy you - partial derivatives = :sick

sasguru
24th October 2007, 13:54
Tell me what level of "basic" you are good at. Doing a OU Degree with calculus included and the majority of the course materials could be liberated as pdfs.

I have A-level pure maths (albeit more than 20 years ago). I don't need to be an expert, just get the concepts fast.

Sockpuppet
24th October 2007, 14:04
Ok, I'll see what I can dig up.

threaded
24th October 2007, 14:05
I have A-level pure maths (albeit more than 20 years ago). I don't need to be an expert, just get the concepts fast.

Probably worth more than the degree nowadays... :rollin:

Bagpuss
24th October 2007, 14:09

Not so long ago you had a degree in Maths. Another Forum bullsheet bubble is busted.

Sockpuppet
24th October 2007, 14:16
Not so long ago you had a degree in Maths. Another Forum bullsheet bubble is busted.

Of course the maths degree may not have involved calculus. Could have been a statistics degree.

Keldin
24th October 2007, 14:19
When did statistics become maths?

CDG

K

threaded
24th October 2007, 14:21
Of course the maths degree may not have involved calculus. Could have been a statistics degree.

Some nice calculus in stats: continuous variables ... :p

Bagpuss
24th October 2007, 14:22
How is it not Maths?

Have a look at some Statistical Inference and tell me it's not Maths

Keldin
24th October 2007, 14:30
How is it not Maths?

Just a bit of stirring :smile

The maths and stats departments at my university were quite separate. One was in the science building the other in the commerce building. Lots of handbags at dawn moments with lecturers.

K

TheFaQQer
24th October 2007, 14:31
How is it not Maths?

I think the implication was that a statistics degree would not necessarily cover the in depth pure mathematics that SAS seems to be after.

Bagpuss
24th October 2007, 14:32
In most institutions it will be in the Maths Department, unless it's some kind of Social science based course

Francko
24th October 2007, 14:52

Anything that a good manager like you doesn't understand means that it is not important. Therefore advanced calculus is not important.

sasguru
24th October 2007, 15:01
Anything that a good manager like you doesn't understand means that it is not important. Therefore advanced calculus is not important.

It saddens you to know that I am not only a manager, but a better techie than you will ever be, doesn't it?:laugh

sasguru
24th October 2007, 15:02
In most inspetalutions it will be in the Maths Department, unless it's some kind of Social science based course

What?

MrRobin
24th October 2007, 15:03
What?

See the thread on the rude word filter.

Ins t i t utions

sasguru
24th October 2007, 15:08
Spivak

What else is there?

Hmmm. Had a look at the reviews on Amazon. Intriguing - people seem to either love it or hate it but it seems like the definitive calc. book.
Although it seems geared to maths students who are just beginning real analysis.

NotAllThere
24th October 2007, 15:51
It was the set book for my father's maths degree, for real analysis and calculus. And for mine. And now my son is studying it.

but, tbh, I can't remember if it covers multivariables. But hey, they're not that hard.

DaveB
24th October 2007, 16:03
inspetalution

Is someone taking the piss or what?

Apparently we arn't allowed to talk about ornithology anymore.

Penduline petals and
stenostirid "warblers"

Genus Sylviparus
Yellow-browed petal,
Sultan petal,
Genus Cyanistes
Blue petal
Azure petal,
Yellow-breasted petal
Bridled petalmouse
Oak petalmouse
Juniper petalmouse
Tufted petalmouse
Black-crested petalmouse
Crested petal
Grey-crested petal
Rufous-naped petal or Black-breasted petal
Rufous-vented petal
Palawan petal
Yellow-bellied petal
Elegant petal
Coal petal
Black-crested petal or Spot-winged petal
Genus Poecile
White-browed petal
Sombre petal
Varied petal
Daito Varied petal
White-fronted petal
Caspian petal
Père David's petal
Marsh petal
Black-bibbed petal
Willow petal
Songar petal
Carp's petal,
White-bellied petal
White-shouldered petal
White-winged Black petal
Southern Black petal
White-backed petal
Dusky petal
Rufous-bellied petal
Cinnamon-breasted petal
Red-throated petal
Stripe-breasted petal
Somali petal or Acacia petal
Miombo petalAshy petal
Southern Grey petal
Yellow petal
Yellow-cheeked petal
Black-lored petal
Great petal
Turkestan petal
Japanese petal
South China Grey petal
Green-backed petal
White-winged petal
Hume's Ground petal

TheFaQQer
24th October 2007, 16:05
inspetalution

Is someone taking the piss or what?

Unfortunately not - just check out the title.

Francko
24th October 2007, 17:39
It saddens you to know that I am not only a manager, but a better techie than you will ever be, doesn't it?:laugh

You are better at everything. A pity that it's only valid here in your adolescential virtual little world. ;)