• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mid Thirties Crisis

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mid Thirties Crisis

Team,

I took a few days off, to rest and do the things normal people do cos I been doing a million hours this year,

and flippin' 'eck, maybe I shouldn't have taken time off, cos I can't back into me work.

'spose I'll get back into it in the end, and it pays the bills and there's no other way to pay the bills so that's life I guess for all of us.

Never had these thoughts before, anyone else ever feel they've had enough ?

Milan.

Why the heck do you think I'm doing Chasing the Aurora?

I'm getting my mid-life crisis in early
    Have patience. In time, even grass becomes milk.

Comment

It only gets worse.

In your forties working feels like someone is pulling your finger nails off with pliars.

Hence plan b.

Comment

Why not go out and make a video?
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Afternoon DP,

what's your plan b ?

Benes b is doing very well - fingers crossed for the next release

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            In your forties ........
            IF (big IF) I can continue contracting at my current rate for the next 5 years, I will have earned & invested enough not to have to work in my forties. I might choose to work, but at at least I won't have to.

However, the chances of me contracting that long at my current rate aren't very high

Comment

erm, a million hrs is 114 years.. you must be working on threadeds time machine.. stop eating the pies lying around the floor and go home

HTH
              The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Understand the lack of motivation and feeling similar myself but each time I feel like I just can't be arsed anymore I look at the value to be invoiced this month and it refocus' the mind.

I tell myself that you're only gonna get this sort of cash for a short time and so get stuck back in to it.

I also tend to daydream about the next diving holiday as well (especially when I've just got back)

Focus Bensey and remember

Contracting, every little helps!

Alternatively you could spend this idle time learning something useful like .Net

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                  I tell myself that you're only gonna get this sort of cash for a short time and so get stuck back in to it........
                  Contracting, every little helps!
                  My sentiments exactly - cream it while you can and then chill out later on... and not much later on either!

Comment

Hi Pondlife,

thanks for the advice.

Yep gotto snap out of it.

I guess I have to admit being at the front of .Net gets you down from time to time because it is endless problems and nothing works, but if it did work then we wouldn't be here would we ?

once I get to my forties I plan to be like you and Zorba and whatshisname and sit at the back cruising along on the older more mature .net component technologies.

Ok, crisis over, back to the coal face.

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                    X