• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Long road to Berlin ......

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long road to Berlin ......

.... starts in Austria and then moves on to Poland ...... where have we seen that itinerary before :rolleyes

England to begin 2006 campaign in Austria

England's 2006 World Cup qualifying schedule

Sept 4, 2004 v Austria (away)

Sept 8, 2004 v Poland (away)

Oct 9, 2004 v Wales (home)

Oct 13, 2004 v Azerbaijan (away)

March 26, 2005 v Northern Ireland (home)

March 30, 2005 v Azerbaijan (home)

Sept 3, 2005 v Wales (away)

Sept 7, 2005 v Northern Ireland (away)

Oct 8, 2005 v Austria (home)

Oct 12, 2005 v Poland (home)

LONDON (Reuters) - England will begin their 2006 World Cup Group Six qualifying campaign with away matches against Austria and Poland, the Football Association says.

The game against Austria is scheduled for September 4, with the match in Poland four days later.

"The last date decided was England's first match," FA executive director David Davies was quoted as saying by the BBC website on Tuesday.

"But in the spirit of give and take, we finally came to an agreement. It is fair to say that nobody wanted to play us first in England.

"So in the end we accepted that we would go to Austria first," added Davies, who attended the meeting in Cardiff. "That gives us two away games to start, with Poland straight after, but it has given us two home games at the end.

"I was in touch with Sven while the meeting was going on, and he finally gave the go-ahead to the two away games first. It was his call."

Eriksson said he was happy with the schedule.

"For us the fixtures are very good," he said.

"Starting with two away games against Austria and Poland will be difficult, but that is the way I wished to start the group.

"My main concern was to avoid a fixture in June next year, so I am very pleased with the outcome from that point of view in particular."

England end their campaign with home matches against Austria and Poland on October 8 and 12, 2005.

Their first home fixture is against Wales on October 9 this year and they host Northern Ireland on March 26, 2005. The away games against their two British rivals both take place in September 2005. England's other two qualifying matches are against Azerbaijan.

Working...
X