• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Antwerp and Brussels

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antwerp and Brussels

Planning to spend the weekend in one or both of these cities, having never been to either I'm a bit stuck on what to do.

Anyone got any ideas on what me and the wifey could see and do whilst there?
    Coffee's for closers

I like Antwerp best of two - things to do on a weekend: Drink belgian beer, lunch on belgian mussels and frites, eat some belgian chocolate. Be sick. Repeat.
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

my Mrs thinks antwerpen has the best shopping of all the cities we have been to

there is a main shopping street called the Meir containing every shop you can think of

off it are smaller streets with all of the gucci, boss, luis vitton, ralph lauren, channel etc shops

I think for shopping you cannot go wrong in Antwerp

the town is also beautiful and small enough to walk around

have fun,

Milan.

Comment

For a weekend, Antwerp is probably a better bet as it has a proper city centre and loads of stuff to do within easy walking distance - booze, look at old buildings, buy diamonds. Don't speak French, especially in anywhere with lots of yellow and black flags/signs.

Apart form some noteable exceptions (Grand Palce etc.), downtown Brussels is a bit grubby. There are a lot of nicer areas that would take more than a weekend to get around.

Comment

Thanks!

Any more suggestions will also be appreciated
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Why one of these two when Amsterdam's (comparatively speaking) just up the road?
            Have patience. In time, even grass becomes milk.

Comment

Can't give you any positive comments.

The general view of the well travelled, is that Brussels comes close to being the least interesting capital city in Europe.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                Planning to spend the weekend in one or both of these cities, having never been to either I'm a bit stuck on what to do.

Anyone got any ideas on what me and the wifey could see and do whilst there?
                Been here. T'was truly amazing.

"The Zurenborg district is well worth a visit to see how the best architects of the time allowed their talents to run wild. This residential area located near Berchem Station is a real show piece with splendid town houses of fin-de-siecle architecture. For more information on Art Nouveau in Antwerp contact the Antwerp Tourist Office. "
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

make sure to visit the Pelgrim or Pelgrum pub too

very nice, not to mention the Jenever pub with more than 200 gins
                  to try

Antwerp is a little gem as is Beglium in general.

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by chasingtheaurora View Post
                    Why one of these two when Amsterdam's (comparatively speaking) just up the road?
                    been to amsterdam 3 times in the past 6 months and i've never been to belgium.
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                    X