• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fat squirrel trapped behind bars

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fat squirrel trapped behind bars

A grey squirrel had to be rescued from a bird feeder as it had gorged on so many nuts it could not squeeze back out through the bars.

A resident in Christchurch, Dorset alerted the RSPCA after finding it stuck in the peanut-filled feeder.

Insp Graham Hammond said that the squirrel had "eyes bigger than its stomach" and had lost its figure while feasting in the wire-frame last week.

He said: "This was quite an unusual rescue."

"I think this squirrel had eyes bigger than its stomach but after it had stuffed itself with nuts, it had a stomach too large to escape the feeder - one which ironically, was designed to be squirrel-proof," he said.

Insp Hammond said he managed to widen the gaps between two of the bars with the aid of a crow-bar and a grasper - to release the squirrel, which was not hurt.

"As soon as the gap increased he shot off. I was slightly insulted," he added.

Article with photo - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/7061568.stm

He should be reported!!

Grey Squirrels are vermin and under Schedule 9, Section 14 of The Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, it is an offence to release grey squirrels into the wild.
    Si posse, recte, si non, quocumque modo rem

Comment

Originally posted by Bear View Post
      He should be reported!!

Grey Squirrels are vermin and under Schedule 9, Section 14 of The Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, it is an offence to release grey squirrels into the wild.
      I had grey squirrels in my loft. The missus didn't know what the noise was so she called the pest control. He came and put a trap. I got home from work and went to see and there was a baby grey in the trap. I let it go back in the loft to join his family and when they left mid summer, I blocked up the hole.

The pest guy came back and wanted in my house with a rifle!!! I told him if he took one more step, he would be eating the rifle....

I threw his trap after him...

I will not allow any killing of animals in my house or garden...and I like squirrels, regardless of their colour. Turning up with a rifle made me see red though.....
      "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Good job on letting that baby squirrel go - they have high enough mortality rate (75% in the first year of life) already! If only all animals were as cure as squirrels and cats

Comment

Am I allowed to shoot squirrels with an air rifle?

There's nothing on TV at the weekend and so I thought it might be a good sport to shoot fluffy things?

What if I accidently hit next doors cat? Twice.

Comment

Yes - I shoot the ones that venture into our garden.

and the rabbits too.
            Si posse, recte, si non, quocumque modo rem

Comment

Is it still illegal to shoot immigrants? Or has that ban been lifted since there are so many of them?

Only joking. Perish the thought.

Comment

Oh that's really nice that is.

Are you both expert marksmen? Are you getting clean kills?

Or are you - like most amateurs - pinging bullets or air rifle pellets into random parts of these animals, with them limping off to die of a septic wound and/or being in agony for several days?

If it's the latter I'd examine your consciences if I were you.

And no - I'm not talking about the immigrants.

Comment

DimPrawn - I've seen it

Comment

Shhh!!

Comment

Working...
                    X