• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When is organic not organic?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When is organic not organic?

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    From SA

"Are we having a poll?

We haven't had one all day "
    Well here's one.

"Food flown into the UK will be stripped of its organic status unless it meets new stricter ethical standards"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7061004.stm

Edit: b**ger, I posted the same option twice and can't find a way to edit the bl**dy poll.

The fourth option was meant to be "What has 'food miles' got to do with being organic?"
    Not if it's from another country and protects our farmers.
    0.00%
    The Soil Association are free to set any criteria they want.
    18.18%
    I think the Gov't should start a consultation and let us know.
    0.00%
    I think the Gov't should start a consultation and let us know.
    0.00%
    Duh!, of course it is.
    54.55%
    I'm AndyW and I claim my £5.
    27.27%
    Last edited by Joe Black; 25 October 2007, 21:04.

[DEVILSADVOCATE]
    You shouldn't eat organic food.

In order to support the growing population of the planet we need increased yields per hectare.

Soon (<30 years) all food will need to be GM or covered in pesticides/growth promoters, otherwise we won't be able to feed everybody.

If you've been eating this organic rubbish all you life then your body won't be able to cope, and you'll die.
    [/DEVILSADVOCATE]
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I once overheard an old biddy in a supermarket grab some Organic carrots and say rather loudly "Yuck, organic!" and throw them back and then grab the value range ones.

Comment

What do the food miles have to do with it? It is moving the goalposts somewhat.

Comment

Ethical standards?

Sounds like they're getting Fairtrade confused with Organic. Maybe a new label - Fairganic.

K

Comment

Originally posted by Keldin View Post
            Ethical standards?

Sounds like they're getting Fairtrade confused with Organic. Maybe a new label - Fairganic.

K

Oh I really like this new word 'Fairganic'

Comment

Originally posted by SandyDown View Post

Copyrighted, trademarked, patent pending

Comment

Originally posted by SandyDown View Post
                Is this before or after the tulipy daffodilled it?
                Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I'm a bit of a loss what înorganic food is. Salt perhaps?
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Its just protectionism (sic) by another name. Organic has nothing to do with how its transported, and everything to do with how its grown. It could be argued that they are using attack as the best form of defense as its been shown that a lot of organic food grown in the UK is worse for the environment than the food imported.

Who the hell are the soil society anyway??? (I dont care enough to google it, so I wont be offended if you lot cant be bothered telling me )

Comment

Working...
                    X