• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Top of the class in England - but Polish boy goes home for better education

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By PAUL SIMS - More by this author » Last updated at 00:30am on 26th October 2007

When Aleksander Kucharski arrived in Britain from Poland, he expected he would get a first-class education.

He was accepted at a Roman Catholic state school which boasts one of the best academic records in the country and is recognised by Ofsted as outstanding.

But after two years he is so disillusioned that he has gone home to his old school, saying his British classmates were interested only in shopping and partying.

Disillusioned: 16-year-old Aleksander Kucharski has gone back to Poland for his education after two years in an English school

"I was treading water within the British education system," said 16-year-old Aleksander.

"The boys were childish, they didn't read papers and weren't interested in anything.

"And the girls only talked about shopping and what they were going to do on Friday night.

"In Poland you have to know the names of all countries, even the rivers. But in England hardly anyone could place Kenya or Poland on the map. The teachers didn't test knowledge, only effort."

Aleksander started at St Thomas More High School in North Shields, North Tyneside, after his parents, who are both doctors, came to England.

In June he informed his mother Anja, a psychiatrist, and father Robert, a medical consultant, that he was returning home to continue his schooling.

While they remained here, Aleksander went back to Lodz in Poland, where he has moved in with his grandmother and enrolled at III Liceum Ogolnoksztalcace, a state school.

St Thomas More High School

'Outstanding': St Thomas More High School in North Shields
    Although he received glowing praise from his Tyneside teachers, Aleksander claims he was being held back by other pupils, whom he accused of having no interest in learning new things.

He said: "Here in Lodz I go to debates, I talk about films and I try to persuade people not to use plastic bags. During the elections here we posted flyers for my neighbour who was out campaigning.

"But in Newcastle no one cared about globalisation, the greenhouse effect, the EU, war or politics.

"Maybe it's because they get everything on a plate, because there was no communism there and there's no real poverty, they don't need to worry about their future.

"In Poland parents tell their children about financial problems. But in Britain I think they don't have them or they tried to hide them, to buy their children everything."

Aleksander said that before he left Poland he was an average student.

"In Poland, I only ever got average marks in maths, yet in the UK teachers said I was a genius," he claimed yesterday. "After a year I was top of the class in everything, and that includes English."

The excellent facilities at St Thomas More failed to improve educational standards there, he said.

"They would give me a list of terms and definitions. The teacher told us to put them into pairs and colour them the right colour - like at primary school."

Last night, the deputy head of his school in Lodz, Agata Jagielska, said: "We know that Polish pupils are better at acquiring facts and knowledge.

"Perhaps because we are poorer and we don't have such great facilities in Poland, pupils are more motivated to seek out possibilities for themselves."

St Thomas More is one of the best performing schools in the country. A total of 1,700 students aged between 11 and 18 attend the school which was established in 1988 following amalgamation and has won several national awards for excellence.

A spokesman for North Tyneside Council said: "Every child and parent has the right to choose the education they wish.

"We are disappointed that this pupil has decided to move away.

"Only weeks ago St Thomas More was recognised by Ofsted as being an outstanding school with 82 per cent of students achieving five or more A*-C grades. Among those, 16 came out with nine or more A*-A grades."

--

Not funny situation really

Not surprising really. Dum everything down and eventually even the students will start to realise it's all a con.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Sounds about right. The English education system is appalling.

K

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
        Not surprising really. Dum everything down and eventually even the students will start to realise it's all a con.

Ah the irony....
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

It's sad really. The latest plan is to stop teaching history as people and events, but as "themes".

F***wittedness doesn't begin to describe it...

Comment

This story was so touching it almost made me cry. I can see a movie being made out of this boy's struggles and efforts as he fights against the failing machine of British education.

When my kids begin education, I'm hoping to be able to live abroad for several years to give them a headstart in education. I have several countries in mind but frankly I believe any developed country and numerous 3rd world (emerging) countries could beat our educational 'system' hands down.

Comment

Here man - we is Geordies and we just love to party...

I went to school in Newcastle and it did me no harm - I can usually answer at least 1 question on University Challenged

Ho hum - look in me now in the gutter with my £120k per year contracting lifestyleeee

Bye bye Aleksander - can't say you will be missed.

RR.

Comment

Originally posted by richy_rich View Post
                Here man - we is Geordies and we just love to party...

I went to school in Newcastle and it did me no harm - I can usually answer at least 1 question on University Challenged

Ho hum - look in me now in the gutter with my £120k per year contracting lifestyleeee

Bye bye Aleksander - can't say you will be missed.

RR.
                Did you ever do a contract in China?

Comment

"But in Newcastle no one cared about globalisation, the greenhouse effect, the EU, war or politics."
                  He is SallyAnne and I claim my free Wispa bar.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100 View Post
                    Did you ever do a contract in China?
                    Yes. And how many birds have you shagged recently?
                    You better watch what your mum gets up to at home though....
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X