• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Coffee Machine Choices ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coffee Machine Choices ?

As we all know, coffee, coding and contracting all share something in common (apart from the letter "C"). They are mutually dependent on each other.

With that utterly profound statement out of the way, I'd like to ask if anyone (or "anybeing" remembering our non-human friends on here) has any personal recommendations for coffee-machines.

I've looked at the Flavia Machine and it has a large range of drinks. But has anyone tasted them ? Are they any good ?

I've looked at the Nespresso machines, and the range is limited to about 12 types of coffee which come in proprietary capsules. Anyone tasted any of these ?

Then apparently there are these "pod" machines, which can take any number of pods (over 200 types in the uk alone I believe) which offer a massive variety of choice. Anyone tried these machines and the coffee ?

Then there is a Tassimo, which also has proprietary pods in a smaller range. I have tried the Tass, and found the coffee to be mediocre.

So many choices....
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

http://www.johnlewis.com/Electrical+...1/Product.aspx

takes both ground and espresso pods

lots of reviews for various machines here:
    http://www.coffeegeek.com/reviews/consumer
    Last edited by Spacecadet; 26 October 2007, 07:11.
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post

I've looked at the Flavia Machine and it has a large range of drinks. But has anyone tasted them ? ....
      Yes

Are they any good ?
      No

I've looked at the Nespresso machines, and the range is limited to about 12 types of coffee which come in proprietary capsules. Anyone tasted any of these ?
      Yes - better than Flavia but still not decent coffee, about the same as the Tassimo.

THe only thing to do is to get a decent espresso machine something like

this
      There are loads to suit every budget.
      Si posse, recte, si non, quocumque modo rem

Comment

As we all know, coffee, coding and contracting all share something in common (apart from the letter "C"). They are mutually dependent on each other.
        You forgot the free bit. Any half decent contractor will drink whatever is on offer regardless of how awful it is.

Comment

Being of Italian descent, in my view there is only one way to make "proper" coffee - it's got to be a machineta (stove top espresso maker) with Illy espresso grounds.

The pots cost about £25-£30 and come in 3 cup to 9 cup capacities and are the only way to get that true espresso flavour without paying a fortune for a Gaggia......

If you want one, look for the Bialetti make - you can't miss the man with a moustache logo. You can get cheaper un-branded ones but they are a bit tinny and don't get up enough pressure to produce a proper brew....

Comment

I have a nespresso machine (Le Cube) and think it is great. Some of the blends I find to be a bit wishy washy, but the stronger ones are great and a Roma (str:8) is great as a shot before I dash out the door and an arpeggio (str:9) or two is good in a latte.
            It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Best coffee machine

I asked a similar question earlier in the year - My personal favourite is Flavia - absolutely spot on for quality. But have a look at the debate:
              http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...e-machine.html
              35,000 TPD - 28/11/2007, 19:15
              (Special Sportsmanship credit to NickFitz)

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                I asked a similar question earlier in the year - My personal favourite is Flavia - absolutely spot on for quality. But have a look at the debate:
                http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...e-machine.html
                Agreed, I'm a flavia fan too!

Italian Roast all the way...
                Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

I've got one of those Philips Senseo thingy's that take the pods; lovely coffee with a bit of cream on top

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
                    You forgot the free bit. Any half decent contractor will drink whatever is on offer regardless of how awful it is.
                    Absolutely

My current client had so many members of staff complaining about the quality of the free coffee that they've commissioned a Dutch firm to create their own exclusive blend. They even flew several permie volunteers over to the Netherlands for a three-day tasting session, all expenses paid. We should be getting it in the New Year

Comment

Working...
                    X