PDA

View Full Version : VLM Airlines

Spacecadet
26th October 2007, 08:26
Just booked a few flights with this "Business" carrier

Are they any good? The promotional junk appears to promote last minute checkin options which can't be a bad thing :smokin

chasingtheaurora
26th October 2007, 08:29

Are they any good? The promotional junk appears to promote last minute checkin options which can't be a bad thing :smokin

I used to fly with them AMS-LCY (Amsterdam to London City) every weekend. They were pretty good but rudimentary.

chef
26th October 2007, 08:40
flew with them manchester to london city twice a week.. puddle hoppers of planes (propellers, no jets here)..

good looking hostesses, comfy leather seats, bacon croissant or sandwich (depending on time of day) and free drinks (yes you can ask for 2 small bottles of champagne) and a little leonidas choc just before landing.

i've had very few delays although i was warned not to catch the last flight of the day with them as they a liable to cancel it.

overall, i'd say a pretty good service, far far better than the virgin train.

HTH

Rantor
26th October 2007, 08:40

They're v. fussy about hand-luggage size/weight especially at zavantem. Otherwise, pretty reliable and good if you live near London City.

Spacecadet
26th October 2007, 08:43
HTH

It does indeed :)

I've been manchester to london a couple of times with Virgin - went first class on the train as it was last minute and the difference between VLM and the first class train ticket was £10 so i went with the train

chef
26th October 2007, 08:49
so i went with the train

mistake, big mistake.. .huge...

(no prizes for guessing what I watched last night)

fly every time, lots nicer, always put sme in a better mood and as i worked in docklands it's just a 10 min DLR ride/ 8 min taxi away..

no more connections at Bank, first class being opened up to cattle class due to overcrowding, arsey (can i say that?) train attendants throwing some biscuits at you.. VLM also do a frequent flyer club :)

Churchill
26th October 2007, 08:58

Puff!

chef
26th October 2007, 09:04
you really shouldnt do that in public Churchill, dog farts are very smelly

Spacecadet
26th October 2007, 09:07

fly every time, lots nicer, always put sme in a better mood and as i worked in docklands it's just a 10 min DLR ride/ 8 min taxi away..

no more connections at Bank, first class being opened up to cattle class due to overcrowding, arsey (can i say that?) train attendants throwing some biscuits at you.. VLM also do a frequent flyer club :)

Train was ok for me as the office i was visiting was 2 stops away on the tube from Euston.
Didn't have a problem with first class being opened to the cattle
Food was good as were the endless coffees

Mailman
26th October 2007, 11:24
I used to fly with them AMS-LCY (Amsterdam to London City) every weekend. They were pretty good but rudimentary.

They are in the process of replacing their prop fleet with brand new used jets.

I use them quite a bit to get from LCY to Europe and the Channel Islands and they are just like any other airline. No real complaints.

Mailman

chasingtheaurora
26th October 2007, 11:42
They are in the process of replacing their prop fleet with brand new used jets.

I use them quite a bit to get from LCY to Europe and the Channel Islands and they are just like any other airline. No real complaints.

Mailman

Actually - that's a point. I live across the river from LCY and I saw a BAe 146 in VLM colouring the other day and thought "hmm, that's odd". That'd explain it. Cheers!

Gonzo
27th October 2007, 19:55

Are they any good? The promotional junk appears to promote last minute checkin options which can't be a bad thing :smokinI always thought that the short check-in options were down to the airports that they fly from rather than anything special that they do themselves. :confused:

However, I have flown with them on a number of different routes (I live near to LCY so it is a lot more convenient than Heathrow / Gatwick / Standstead / Luton) and I have always been very happy with the service.

It has been stated on another post but you can always ask for a second alcoholic drink with your meal ;) They would probably let you have more but your flight will not be long enough. (But I did hear one bloke being told there was no alcohol on a 7 AM flight to Jersey).

Although on one flight we did to Antwerp they had to annouce that they did not have any Kosher meals - which was a rather big deal on that route.