• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If you had £500,000 cash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you had £500,000 cash

and you invested it into a Nationwide 1 year 6.5% fixed rate bond paying out monthly into your current account, you would receive £2,700 a month.

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
    and you invested it into a Nationwide 1 year 6.5% fixed rate bond paying out monthly into your current account, you would receive £2,700 a month.
    Which would pay your rent. If you invested it in property however the growth is endless...

Comment

Before or after 40% tax?

And of course there is no inflation now, so your lump sum will not be eroded either.

Or you could use it as 10 deposits on off plan studio flats in Newcastle and be rich. Rich I tell yer!

Comment

Before tax unfortunately.
        It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

That is not investing your money. That is letting someone else invest your money. There is a very big difference.

Comment

£2,700 is pre-tax but at least it will be ever so slightly above inflation whereas property is fast heading towards deflation.

£500,000 could buy you 3 apartments each bringing in £700 rent monthly. So that's £2,100 before tax, and before lease costs and ground rent are taken out.

The days of leveraging to buy property in the UK (and many other countries) are finished. Mortgage approvals fell almost a third last month and liquidity is drying up fast, bringing the loan and hence property market to a grinding halt. Price rises are slowing and reversing in many cases.

Re: Churchill - yes I agree, just trying to make a point that returns in some sectors will be lower than cash.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
              That is not investing your money. That is letting someone else invest your money. There is a very big difference.
              I invested my money - and have suffered significant losses. On paper, mind you, I dare not sell any of it. No wonder people put all their cash into property these days.
              McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
              Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

I have got 500k.

NEXT!!
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
                  I invested my money - and have suffered significant losses. On paper, mind you, I dare not sell any of it. No wonder people put all their cash into property these days.
                  In equities? Paper losses are still losses.

Why would you not sell?

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    I have got 500k.

NEXT!!
                    Real money sunshine, not Monopoly notes or lira.

Comment

Working...
                    X