• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Engine Oil

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Oil

If you drive a car with too much engine oil in it, what damage can be done to the engine?

Last week I traded in my old Mondeo for a newer one. The car was supposed to be serviced before I got it - part of the deal. I noticed it had a problem starting - sometimes it would start and run really badly, as though it was about to stall (engine warning light would come on). I then checked the oil level and it was way way above the max mark on the dipstick. I have since taken it back to where I bought it (a fiat dealership) Because it is still under its Ford warranty they have passed it over to the local Ford dealers for them to check - I guess becuase they haven't got a clue themselves. So I got it on Saturday, I've done 300 miles in it and it has been back with them since yesterday.

I overheard one of the mechanics say that they had put a new battery on it also - so I suspect they knew it had a fault before they shipped it my way.

Even if Ford find and correct the fault, I'm looking to reject the car on the grounds that running it with massively too much oil in it will have done some damage to the engine - I just need to know what.

It's a diesel 2005 one.
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Tone,

sorry to hear that.

Sounds like you need to trade up to a Passat.

All the best,

Milan.

Comment

looks like buying a Ford from a Fiat garage is an even bigger mistake than buying a Fiat from a Fiat garage
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
        If you drive a car with too much engine oil in it, what damage can be done to the engine?

Last week I traded in my old Mondeo for a newer one. The car was supposed to be serviced before I got it - part of the deal. I noticed it had a problem starting - sometimes it would start and run really badly, as though it was about to stall (engine warning light would come on). I then checked the oil level and it was way way above the max mark on the dipstick. I have since taken it back to where I bought it (a fiat dealership) Because it is still under its Ford warranty they have passed it over to the local Ford dealers for them to check - I guess becuase they haven't got a clue themselves. So I got it on Saturday, I've done 300 miles in it and it has been back with them since yesterday.

I overheard one of the mechanics say that they had put a new battery on it also - so I suspect they knew it had a fault before they shipped it my way.

Even if Ford find and correct the fault, I'm looking to reject the car on the grounds that running it with massively too much oil in it will have done some damage to the engine - I just need to know what.

It's a diesel 2005 one.
        Can't it do some damage to the cat convertor if you run with too much oil ??

Comment

Adding too much oil can overfill the crankcase. As the crankshaft spins around, it can whip the oil into foam if the level is too high. This, in turn, can cause a drop in oil pressure, and loss of lubrication to critical engine parts. Too much oil may cause also leaks, damaging seals and gaskets and burning off in the cylinders causing damage to the pistons and rings.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

It sounds obvious but you did check it on level ground?

Having too much oil in the system will probably put pressure on the oil seals, it sounds to me like they didn't drain the sump properly. These days they hardly ever drain the car, preferring to suck the oil out.

If you're not happy surely you can reject it anyway
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

"Can't it do some damage to the cat convertor if you run with too much oil ??"

I don't know - that is why I was asking. I know those things can be very expensive though
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Too much oil will put pressure on the seals at the bearings. If they break and it leaks, the oil could start to get onto the flywheel and the clutch disc.
                It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

I think we can conclude folks, that too much oil in an engine is not a good thing

Milan.

Comment

So all in all, it's not a good idea to drive 300 miles in a car over filled then!

I plan to reject it - I'm just going through the motions. I figured if I have to go through the courts then I have given them a reasonable chance to resolve it. If Ford find a fault or even if the don't I think I have grounds to reject it.

If there is a fault and it's fixed, what were the knock on implications?

If they don't find one then it will stil have the problem when it comes to starting.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                    X