• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Maddie has become public obsession

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maddie has become public obsession

There came a point when the public obsession with Madeleine mcCann ceases to be a sign of compassionate concern and became a circus.

It has been more than 5 months now since she disappeared and in that time the publicity the case has had has gone from a boon to the family and police to a real life soap opera.

Everyday we pick up our papers to find out the latest on Maddie. As a result other parents are losing publicity that could helpfully find their missing children and and the public is being indulged in a distateful entertainment.

And here we go again today - Front Page of the Daily Express....

70% DON’T BELIEVE MCCANNS

Viewers who watched Kate and Gerry McCann’s tearful TV interview delivered a damning verdict yesterday.

A phone vote moments after the broadcast revealed nearly 70 per cent thought the couple were not telling the truth about Madeleine’s disappearance

At the end of the 30-minute interview, as she broke down again, her cardiologist husband Gerry, 39, was heard to warn her: “Don’t say anything until they’ve taken off your microphone.”

The surprising remark was broadcast to millions of viewers of late-night Spanish chat show 360 Degrees on the country’s Antena 3 channel. It clearly failed to impress the audience.

The couple were savaged in the phone vote following the show, with only 30 per cent signalling they thought the couple were being honest about what happened to their daughter.

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/23189

She still has her own subsite on Sky News, ordered 1 place above "World News"

Comment

Like rubbernecking at road accidents. Bit like the Diana thing, oooh those terrible paparrazi, but whose insatiable appetite were they serving? Certainly not those of us who thought she was a tedious neurotic and avoided any mention of the stupid cow or any other parasitic useless talentless royals/ex royals as much as possible.

I don't think the idea that they were involved makes much practical sense but have to say the McCanns have rather created the problem themselves with their desire to keep the issue alive. Understandable, but there comes a point when other peoples' tragedies become plain boring I'm afraid. There are 6bn people in the world and we cannot fill our thoughts with other peoples' problems. I think a major issue is that the Portugeuse see their laws and institutions being blamed for what is perceived to be an imported problem, rather the way many felt here about the Clambie case.

PS They have found her DNA in my pond. And on the no 67 bus to Bracknell, and Mount Everest and...
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        Like rubbernecking at road accidents. Bit like the Diana thing, oooh those terrible paparrazi, but whose insatiable appetite were they serving? Certainly not those of us who thought she was a tedious neurotic and avoided any mention of the stupid cow or any other parasitic useless talentless royals/ex royals as much as possible.

I don't think the idea that they were involved makes much practical sense but have to say the McCanns have rather created the problem themselves with their desire to keep the issue alive. Understandable, but there comes a point when other peoples' tragedies become plain boring I'm afraid. There are 6bn people in the world and we cannot fill our thoughts with other peoples' problems. I think a major issue is that the Portugeuse see their laws and institutions being blamed for what is perceived to be an imported problem, rather the way many felt here about the Clambie case.

PS They have found her DNA in my pond. And on the no 67 bus to Bracknell, and Mount Everest and...
        Harsh, but fair
        Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

I must admit I support their decision to keep the matter alive, the world today is very small, internet, emails, phone calls around the world, news, media, I think they should keep the matter alive ... if Maddie is still alive she will be in her teens sooner or later someone –even perverts would come across her info, or she will come across her own missing information...
          Do you remember the German girl story who was kidnapped as a very young child and was kept a prisoner in someone basement till she was around 15, she managed to run away when she was 15 and found her family!! may be am too optimistic but as a parent IMO as long as the body is not found then they should keep looking!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lambros View Post
            And here we go again today - Front Page of the Daily Express....
            If anyone admitted to using the Daily Express for lining their cat litter tray, I'd report them to the RSPCA. Even dumb animals are entitled to some dignity.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

How many kids get abdudcted / go missing in the Western World every month ? why is this one so special compared to them ?

Either the parents accidently killed Maddie and dumped the body ( e.g. they gave the kid half a sleeping pill and killed her or lashed out and killed her accidently) and God forbid that social services take the remaining kids away for that and have the father struck off the medical practice register or the mother banged up for that , so in this case they invented a bullsh*t story to maintain their lifestyle ... OR ..... the parents are on a guilt trip caused by partial neglect leaving kids alone coupled with a terrible case of bad luck having a kidnapper snatch her away ...

This story does not warrant the media attention it has been getting, the key to this story is simple, the media is using it as a tale of fear, instilling fear into parents becomes addictive to them, nationwide, why not listen to a newspaper or watch a TV program about what 'could' happen to 'your' kids and see what dangers lie out there and spend your life worrying and not enjoying freedom and being paranoid ....

Not for me thankyou.

Comment

Bang on Owl. The Express is quite the most utterly awful paper ever since the dawn of time. I'd sooner admit to reading The Sun or The Daily Star any day.

Was quite surprised by the amount of proper news on the Sun website, it's all there, just not too many long words.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                  If anyone admitted to using the Daily Express for lining their cat litter tray, I'd report them to the RSPCA. Even dumb animals are entitled to some dignity.
                  We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it.
                  - Douglas Adams

Comment

I buy it everyday.

Today's front page

KATE and Gerry McCann have paid their mortgage with some of the £1million donated to help find Madeleine, it emerged yesterday.

Contributors to the fund immediately complained that they did not expect their money to be used to cover the cost of the McCanns four-bedroom home worth £600,000.

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/23617

Comment

Working...
                    X