• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

RBS/Halifax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RBS/Halifax

Someone posted a while ago about warning sent by RBS security to update customer's accounts details online, was that a scam? I received the same email today from Halifax asking me to update my account details online, only I don't actually have an account with Halifax!!

I received the same email today from Halifax asking me to update my account details online
    Just do it. You know it makes sense !

Comment

Yup, it's a scam.

Never respond to those kinds of emails, and certainly don't click on the links embedded in the mail either, it'll only confirm you're a candidate for more of the same. The site may also have some dodgy payload ready to deliver to your insecure windows machine.
      Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

What miffy said, but just to reiterate:

NEVER under any circumstances follow a link from an email "from your bank" that takes you "to your bank" - it doesn't. If you get an email claiming that you need to "log in to confirm yada yada yada blah blah blah" then you can rest assured that it's a scam.

If you think, despite the fact that it's obviously a scam ("It is of greatest impotence that you pay attention to the neeedfulness of this prioritical message") that it might actually be important, still don't click on a link in an email, particularly if you're running Windows.

The reason why it's so important (neeedfully ;-) that you should always go directly to your bank by typing the canonical URL into your browser's location bar is that a URL in an email can take you to a site that surreptitiously installs something on your system which can intercept both your keystrokes, and the content and place of origin of web pages as they arrive on your machine, and then redirect you seamlessly to the actual site.

Normally yourbank.co.uk will only ask you for part of some aspect of your supposed proof of identity; for example, my bank will (among other things) only want the third, eighth and tenth characters of my password (yes, actual numbers vary by visit, so STFU you pedants like me :-).

Frankly, it would take me about twenty minutes to write a browser extension for Internet Explorer that could bide its time, parse the login page ("enter the third character"? OMG how do I turn that into a numeric index?) and sniff the user input until it had all of the password, which it could then silently send to some machine in Azerbaijan (via a botnet of anonymous proxies, obviously).

But seriously, Sandy, if you don't have an account with whoever it was - oops, you said it was Halifax but I forgot - why on earth did you feel the need to ask this question? Wasn't it obvious to you that it was a scam?

Aagh, just remembered another reason to always actually type "mybank.co.uk" into the location bar, rather than using a bookmark/favourite: it's very easy, once something is on your system, for it to change your "My bank" bookmark/favourite from "http://mybank.co.uk/" to "http"//987.654.321.000/evil_hacker_redirection_after_pwning_your_machine. pl?url=mybank.co.uk/".

(BTW, loving the eyes and the shape of the top of your skull; when do we get to see more )
        Last edited by NickFitz; 28 October 2007, 02:43. Reason: Forgot to compliment Sandy on her ineffable, though deeply concealed, beauty.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          (BTW, loving the eyes and the shape of the top of your skull; when do we get to see more )
          Indeed burqas (is that the right word) don't do what they were designed for as they might make blokes even more interested in what's underneath.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by miffy View Post
            and certainly don't click on the links embedded in the mail either, it'll only confirm you're a candidate for more of the same.
            if you've got your mail client set to automatically load images / external resources, just opening the mail will be enough to log your IP on their access log and validate your address as a 'hit'.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              they might make blokes even more interested in what's underneath.
              Not if the price for this curiosity is death

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                Not if the price for this curiosity is death
                aaaahhh a man killing for my honour.. how romantic

Comment

Originally posted by SandyDown View Post
                  aaaahhh a man killing for my honour.. how romantic
                  Actually Sandy you seem to have misunderstood that verse - honour killing is when you get killed by your relatives who thought that you decided to marry some guy that the family does not approve of because of cultural or other reasons - that's what they mean by "honour killing" in the most peaceful religion ever graced this poor planet.

Comment

What you said is exactly how I understood honour killing AtW - it also happens if a man attacks a woman against her well, the family is obliged to defend the woman's honour. Its still someone killing for my honour (My family's honour is my honour )

Still think its romantic to have someone so protective of you. I know there are some cases when you'll find sickos who take it far though...

Why do you keep attacking Muslims at every opportunity AtW?? as I said in other thread its the fastest spreading religion in Rusia now, you shouldn't be insulting your own people now.

P.S: don’t ever think you know more about Islam than me dear, I told you my Dad was a petroleum engineer and we lived in the middle east for most of my childhood and teens - so lived amongst them went to school with them and learnt about their religion !!

Comment

Working...
                    X