• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scots "workshy" according to Jackie Stewart

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scots "workshy" according to Jackie Stewart

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle2753976.ece
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Lazy gits they are.

Next.

Comment

Only poor people work.

Comment

Praising Poles and Australians, who he said were prepared to work hard in the service industry, he accused Scots of relying on cosy jobs in the country’s burgeoning public sector.

“I am constantly disappointed by the fact that the Scots don’t want to work,” he said. “In things like the service sector which is absolutely vital for tourism, I’m served by South Africans, Australians, New Zealanders and Polish people who are really working hard.

“I think social services are too prolific. If you have a job in government you’re not going to be sacked. You have a job for life. You don’t have to work too hard and you don’t have to present yourself well because it is not competitive.”
        It's not only the Scots...

Comment

I think he is missing the point. It is not only in Scotland.
          Stay in a Hotel anywhere in Europe and you are unlikely to hear a local accent apart from in the smaller family run establishments.

The lower end of the food chain is being forced down towards (if not at) minimum wage. Many people just can not afford to work at that rate.
          Many businesses are being proped up by employing migrants who have lower overheads.

I am not sure if it is greed to drive profits, or to keep costs down to customers, but it seems that business would rather pay for cheaper staff.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
            I think he is missing the point. It is not only in Scotland.
            Stay in a Hotel anywhere in Europe and you are unlikely to hear a local accent apart from in the smaller family run establishments.

The lower end of the food chain is being forced down towards (if not at) minimum wage. Many people just can not afford to work at that rate.
            Many businesses are being proped up by employing migrants who have lower overheads.

I am not sure if it is greed to drive profits, or to keep costs down to customers, but it seems that business would rather pay for cheaper staff.

spoken like a true trade unionist
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
              I have leanings in that direction yes, but that is not what drives my feelings on this subject.

You say trade union like it is a bad thing. Why?
              Sure they have gone power mad on occasions but the pendulum eventualy settles somewhere sensible till another Scargil gives it a push.
              Trade Unions were a necessary counter to the mill, mine and factory owners of the day. People (including children) were being exploited and were working in dangerous conditions. They had no say. Often their housing was tied into their job so losing their work meant begging for survival. It was not a good way to be if you didnt own the business.
              Trade Unions were needed as was the Labour movement.

What I see today (on a global scale) is movement back towards those days. The owners/share holders have all the power again.
              Somebody needs to stand up for the little bloke.

I am all for capitalism, I am a contractor after all, but I do believe that there needs to be some form of responsibility in business.

This could go on for a long arguemnt, but I think you have read enough of my posts to know the rest.
              I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
              Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
                I have leanings in that direction yes, but that is not what drives my feelings on this subject.

You say trade union like it is a bad thing. Why?
                Sure they have gone power mad on occasions but the pendulum eventualy settles somewhere sensible till another Scargil gives it a push.
                Trade Unions were a necessary counter to the mill, mine and factory owners of the day. People (including children) were being exploited and were working in dangerous conditions. They had no say. Often their housing was tied into their job so losing their work meant begging for survival. It was not a good way to be if you didnt own the business.
                Trade Unions were needed as was the Labour movement.

What I see today (on a global scale) is movement back towards those days. The owners/share holders have all the power again.
                Somebody needs to stand up for the little bloke.

I am all for capitalism, I am a contractor after all, but I do believe that there needs to be some form of responsibility in business.

This could go on for a long arguemnt, but I think you have read enough of my posts to know the rest.
                You are quite right that capitalism is in in one of its frequent pendulum swings. In this country its because Labour are terrified of being seen as "anti-business". This causes them to lick the arse of the big corps a little too much.
                Real capitalism would support the smaller entrepreneur.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                  Dodgy, I just knew you'd pop up in this thread!

Perhaps while we have a few million UK people on benefits, including the much-abused incapacity benefit, where is the incentive for them to take these lower-paid jobs?

I thought the introduction of the minimum wage was supposed to incentivise them!

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100 View Post
                    Dodgy, I just knew you'd pop up in this thread!

Perhaps while we have a few million UK people on benefits, including the much-abused incapacity benefit, where is the incentive for them to take these lower-paid jobs?

I thought the introduction of the minimum wage was supposed to incentivise them!
                    The best incentives you can give these people (and it is not just the scots) is to give them the same incentives as the Poles, the Australians and the South Africans which is take their benefits away from them.

As for LG, that was not a point you made but a diatribe. You do not seem to understand that just as employers are free to hire people on low wages (as long as they are above the minimum) workers are free to hawk themselves to the higher payers.

And if what you are endorsing is that the minimum wage should rise then are you prepared to pay more for your hotel, beer, coffee? as the law of unintended consequences always applies itself whenever HMG passes legislation, you may find everyone else wanting higher wages to pay for the increases in labour costs.
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                    X