PDA

View Full Version : New gig in Edinburgh - Advice needed

css_jay99
28th October 2007, 15:27
Hi all,

my new gig is in Edinburgh and I need some advice with flight... accommodation...

1) What is cheapest average price of flights from London City/Gatwick airport (preferably City)?. How long in advance should I be booking to get best prices and what websites to use?

2) Similar also goes for Hotel or B&B
3) Allowances - Whats the max allowances allowed per day for eating?
4) Any one is Edinburgh who has a good old with Tax & MOT to sell ?. I could do with that to move around :)
5) and whats the night life like :) ?

cheers

css_jay99

Keldin
28th October 2007, 16:07
For flights go to http://www.moneysavingexpert.com. They have a search engine for budget airline flights which works very well. It's currently experiencing a DDOS attack so may take a little while to come back online. Their forum is quite good as a source of advice and info as well.

For B&Bs you can try sampling a few your first week and see which you like and then negotiate a weekly rate with them. Most are keen to attract regular Monday to Friday guests. You can also try finding a room to rent by the month somewhere which may work out cheaper and better for a long term gig. Perhaps somewhere like gumtree or other student frequested sites might be a good place to look for that.

K

NoddY
28th October 2007, 16:29
For flights go to http://www.moneysavingexpert.com. They have a search engine for budget airline flights which works very well. It's currently experiencing a DDOS attack so may take a little while to come back online. Their forum is quite good as a source of advice and info as well....

K

Interesting the DDoS attack is happening as Money Saving Expert has a campaign about Payment Protection Insurance (PPI) being a con; with details on how to claim against mis-selling.

Troll
28th October 2007, 17:54
Hi all,

my new gig is in Edinburgh and I need some advice
Stay South of the Border

HTH

r0bly0ns
28th October 2007, 18:26

As you are staying away from home, you can claim £5 per day subsistance without getting receipts.

This is to cover 'normal' day to day expenses that you would pay out of your own pocket were you at home, i.e. phone calls, newspapers, lunch etc...

For food, you can claim a 'reasonable' amount for breakfast and evening meal. There is no rules as to what is reasonable, but a general rule of thumb is to eat at a 'middle of the road' restaurant or eat in your hotel and you are fine.

Double check with your accountant though as I may be wrong :wink

xoggoth
28th October 2007, 18:39
Pointless my answering much of that as it was ten years ago I was there. Good restaurants, decent nightlife and if all else fails great cheap massage parlours. (So I am TOLD of course)

scooterscot
29th October 2007, 12:55
Hi all,

my new gig is in Edinburgh and I need some advice with flight... accommodation...

1) What is cheapest average price of flights from London City/Gatwick airport (preferably City)?. How long in advance should I be booking to get best prices and what websites to use?

2) Similar also goes for Hotel or B&B
4) Any one is Edinburgh who has a good old with Tax & MOT to sell ?. I could do with that to move around :)
5) and whats the night life like :) ?

cheers

css_jay99

1) I've used Gatwick plenty of times and it's busy hole of a place always feel stressed using that airport. City too costly who are you? A city banker and is worried about their meal allowance.. Heathrow is the best for Edinburgh more choice. use skyscanner.com

2) You've picked the most expensive city in scottyland for accommodation. My 2 bed get's £1400 pcm expect to pay similar if living in town, more if using a hotel.

3) Are you sure you're a contractor?

4) forget using a car in this town are you mad? £30-35 a month buys you a bus card you can get on and off them as much as you like and that includes the airport bus. You cannot park a car in town unless you are resident.

5) Best city to live in 2007 nuff said: http://channel4bestandworst.com/

al_cam
29th October 2007, 13:26
Hi,

Agree with what Scooterscot is saying - forget driving unless your gig and accommodation is on the outskirts of town.

Choose accommodation wisely as despite the plethora of bus lanes, buses can take forever (student here took over an hour to travel 6 miles each morning)

Where is the gig?. (might be same place as me)

Alan.

css_jay99
31st October 2007, 08:05
scooterscot, £1400pcm ! are you living in a wing of the castle or your dig comes with a pool and playmates?. That certainly is way expensive!

What a bad start for monday flight as my cab got to city airport late, left my Jacket in the cab and got charged £50 for excess luggage :(

Current Hotel cost £50 per night.

Basically I need to look for 1bed for max £550pcm(incl council tax).
I certainly need a car, how else am I going to ferry those scottish lasses to my La Chambre :). All work no play is not so good

al_cam, gig is at Pentland House

css_jay99

KathyWoolfe
31st October 2007, 08:59
scooterscot, £1400pcm ! are you living in a wing of the castle or your dig comes with a pool and playmates?. That certainly is way expensive!

What a bad start for monday flight as my cab got to city airport late, left my Jacket in the cab and got charged £50 for excess luggage :(

Current Hotel cost £50 per night.

Basically I need to look for 1bed for max £550pcm(incl council tax).
I certainly need a car, how else am I going to ferry those scottish lasses to my La Chambre :). All work no play is not so good

al_cam, gig is at Pentland House

css_jay99

I'm working in Edinburgh at the moment and the average cost of flats is £500 - 600 pcm and there are a few places around right now.

Agreed about the buses - use them to get to and from places during the day because driving is a nightmare - but if you have to buy food from supermarkets a car is essential as they are all on the outskirts of the city.

LOTS of nightclubs/pubs etc.

No, I'm NOT working at Pentland House

NotAllThere
31st October 2007, 09:06
You'll save yourself a few quid, if you do a long return LCY-EDI, and weekend returns EDI-LCY in between. E.g. LCY-EDI 5/11 to 21/12 £107, EDI-LCY weekend trips in between £98. As opposed to LCY-EDI m-f £103.

( According the the London City website ).

And don't forget your airmiles.

TheFaQQer
1st November 2007, 15:01
I negotiated a rate with ScottishApartment.com for a longer term rent - all bills included, nice flat in Leith looking out over the Royal Yacht Britannia.

Very nice, but unless you rely on their minibus service, you need a car or bus to get around. But it has secure underground parking for free.

scooterscot
1st November 2007, 19:05
css_jay99

Nah no playmates. Sometimes I let my place out and that's what I get for it, admitently it is in the west end of town. Near and around Pentland house though you'll get plenty around the 600pcm mark.

css_jay99
2nd November 2007, 02:17
Nah no playmates. Sometimes I let my place out and that's what I get for it, admitently it is in the west end of town. Near and around Pentland house though you'll get plenty around the 600pcm mark.

at that price, you must be minting it !

Just back from a club in the westend (george street i think) and it made me laugh!. It was like beign back in the 80s. The girls here certainly dont have a dress sense, the dancing was even worse. mmm maybe i better hand in my notice and come back to london :) 1 year of this and I going to go mad.

So where are the best places to hit town during the week in Edinburgh. I am willing to go as far as glasgow for my sanity. I like my R&B and where the girls hot. who said life just have to be about coding & surfing the net.

Just one query, do all contracts have to have a getout clause?. I can see one for my client but non for me :(

css_jay99

TheFaQQer
2nd November 2007, 08:50
Just one query, do all contracts have to have a getout clause?. I can see one for my client but non for me :(

No. If you want one, then negotiate to put it in there before you start.

Or annoy the client to such an extent that they terminate the contract for you...

css_jay99
9th November 2007, 16:58
They refused to put it in.

Well I guess its better than staying on the bench.

OK you Edinburgh contractors out there that still have life left in them, please tell me where to party during the week cos i dont fancy spending my night pacing the 4 corners of a B&B room :).

css_jay99

by the way do i need to keep a receipt for my £5 a day food allowance?

TheFaQQer
9th November 2007, 17:06
They refused to put it in.

Well I guess its better than staying on the bench.

OK you Edinburgh contractors out there that still have life left in them, please tell me where to party during the week cos i dont fancy spending my night pacing the 4 corners of a B&B room :).

css_jay99

by the way do i need to keep a receipt for my £5 a day food allowance?

£5 a day is a working away from home allowance - no receipts neded.

Food is a separate thing that you can claim for, if you have receipts, providing it's outside your "normal" work - e.g. if you are normally based at home and are working and staying away from home, then you can claim some food - breakfast and tea being the norm.

My new contract Qdos suggested I needed a clause so that I could give notice, in case anyone implied MOO - now it just says "The Supplier is only able to terminate this Agreement on completion of the (Contract) period" so no notice, but no MOO.

scooterscot
9th November 2007, 17:10
Make your way to York Place that's a good start... No. 26 will take you there. Many pubs, VUE, restaurants, I'll be in the Whisky society but you need to be a member ;)

Or you could go up to Old Town and potter near Grass market... No. 12 in that case...

Look up www.s1play.com select Edinburgh hit go the list is endless

Also look up http://www.list.co.uk/

css_jay99
28th November 2007, 07:46
£5 a day is a working away from home allowance - no receipts neded.

Food is a separate thing that you can claim for, if you have receipts, providing it's outside your "normal" work - e.g. if you are normally based at home and are working and staying away from home, then you can claim some food - breakfast and tea being the norm.

Does this mean that apart from the £5 a day claim, That I can also claim for the occassional(or all) overnight meal away from home provided I have a receipt ?

css_jay99.

I cant even surf CUK at my work place !:(

what a shame

Troll
28th November 2007, 08:25
at that price, you must be minting it !

Just back from a club in the westend (george street i think) and it made me laugh!. It was like beign back in the 80s. The girls here certainly dont have a dress sense, the dancing was even worse. mmm maybe i better hand in my notice and come back to london :) 1 year of this and I going to go mad.

css_jay99
Excellent trolling and I’m sure Rantor and other Scots will be along shortly to respond.

I must say that I did find the Scottish fillies attractive; not as easy on the eye as the Irish but definately preferable to the Welsh

Also the accent is the best of the Celtic wimmin, so no matter what their dress sense is get stuck in & fill your boots…

HTH

r0bly0ns
28th November 2007, 10:04
Does this mean that apart from the £5 a day claim, That I can also claim for the occassional(or all) overnight meal away from home provided I have a receipt ?

css_jay99.

what a shame

Yes, if you are staying away from home you can claim for breakfast and evening meal as well as the subsistance.

TheFaQQer
28th November 2007, 10:08

css_jay99.

what a shame

Yes. I used to go to Sainsbury's on a Monday and buy my weekly shop and put the whole lot through.

Torran
28th November 2007, 12:28
You like R&B and your girls hot. I hope your not for real :laugh

1. George street is poor, very poor. Shiney but with no atmosphere.

2. Clubs in Edinburgh are ok. Thankfully not a huge amount of rnb. Mostly house or commercial stuff.

Glasgow I believe has some rnb nights, mainly the Tunnel I think now.

Glasgow in general is head and shoulders above Edinburgh for clubs but pubs in Edinburgh are better imho.

RnB aint that big up here mate so you may have to expand your musical tastes a bit :yay:

Oh and it aint London :music:

basshead
28th November 2007, 13:37
Stay South of the Border

HTH

You mean Berwick-upon-Tweed? Yeah that place is rocking compared with Edinburgh. ;)

css_jay99
30th November 2007, 10:53
You mean Berwick-upon-Tweed? Yeah that place is rocking compared with Edinburgh. ;)

Where ?

I am getting tired of Edinburgh Now. Still living out of suitcases in B&B 4 weeks on.

Its suprising how many sh*t hole accommodations that are available in this town. I would not even live in some of the accommodations I have seen as a student!

Looking for room share in a decent part of town is so difficult with all sh*t rooms beign advertised as luxury .... bright ... nice...

Dont this people know the meaning of such words :mad

OK ignore R&B i just need someplace to hang out. I am getting restless in B&B's now

css_jay99

Dow Jones
30th November 2007, 11:27
1) Flights:
- On own expenses: Afraid only choice is Easyjet (cheapest by far)
- On company expenses: 30-seater Scotair (from City Airport) - check in 15 mins before flight, walk out in seconds, full catering (inc. alcohol)
2) Accommodation:
- If you stay there Mon-Fri: Lots of hotels for less than £ 50 p/d - ie £ 200 for Mon-Thu (inc)
- If you stay there Mon-Sun: Rent a studio/1-bed for £ 600 as close to the centre or work as poss (avoid Leith=dump) thus minimising your transport (see below)
£) Transport:
- Only use taxis (most expensive in the UK - INC LONDON) unless company pays, as most business places in walking distance
- Use Blue Airport bus to/frm the Airport (£ 5 return, takes less than a cab to get there!)
Edinburgh is by far the most civilised and sophisticated place (voted best one to live in te UK for 3 years in a row) and has the fittest women anywhere in the UK

TheFaQQer
30th November 2007, 13:02
- Only use taxis (most expensive in the UK - INC LONDON) unless company pays, as most business places in walking distance

:confused:

Torran
30th November 2007, 13:22
:confused:

I think he means only use if client pays.

Dow Jones
30th November 2007, 13:22
Hope you got it - sorry for my quick typing.
Taxis are notoriously expensive In Edinburgh;), hence the big players (like RBS) run their own 'taxi-service' between sites. Typical Scots you may say, anything to save money.

scooterscot
30th November 2007, 20:56
Where ?

I am getting tired of Edinburgh Now. Still living out of suitcases in B&B 4 weeks on.

Its suprising how many sh*t hole accommodations that are available in this town. I would not even live in some of the accommodations I have seen as a student!

css_jay99

That made me smile... now £1400 pcm for my 2 bed and really it is lovely, money welll spent, but it's not available the now.

I would have thought a Londoner would have a big enough wallet to afford some decent :rollin:

css_jay99
4th December 2007, 20:57
That made me smile... now £1400 pcm for my 2 bed and really it is lovely, money welll spent, but it's not available the now.

I would have thought a Londoner would have a big enough wallet to afford some decent :rollin:

and you call 1400pcm something decent :), more like luxury !. I am only here cos as opposed to sitting on the bench so gotta watch the pennies considering costs and shite rate.

would not mind paying that much if it includes good lass to warm me up every night :)

scoot aint 2bed too much if you are just contracting out here.... unless the other bedroom is a dungeon... just curious :rolleyes:

css_jay99