• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CV advice.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CV advice.

I've recently decided that contracting is something I want to do, so I'm dusting off the old CV. I've had a varied and reasonably distinguished career of 10 years. The problem is that it's mostly been for a single company. (A plus is that it's involved project based work for clients of all shapes and sizes.)

So first contract, how do you draw attention away from the fact that you a contract virgin with no 'renewals'? Can it be hidden? Also, do I pitch a sole employer as a strength (valued as an employee, dedicated) or should I try not to highlight it? Could it be perceived as stagnation?

Any advice is appreciated.

Hi,

What I did (having spent 3 years working for a consultancy) was to break each project (even if it was the same client in some circumstances) with that consultancy down into a seperate section.

That way - it gives the impression that you have done lots of different stuff and different roles.

You don't say much about your background - but that would be one way of achieveing the 'I haven't spent my whole life doing one thing' effect on a CV.

Comment

What I'd do:
      Put a skills summary section at the top.
      Put your employer name below the skills sectoin with the years from and to.
      List each client project below this with the start and end dates.

This way you don't try to disguise that you've worked for the same employer, but you emphasise the variety of client work you've done.
      Last edited by Hex; 29 October 2007, 16:32.

Comment

I agree with Hex. The fun of contracting is that there are all kinds of clients out there; some like to see loyalty and others like to see variety; but there's no way of knowing in advance which is which so you might as well hoist whatever flag's good for you.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I'm using the 'killer' CV template on the main site, so listing by project sounds like it will fit in nicely.

When listing projects and clients you have worked for, is it kosher to mention the client name? Or do you have to use recruitment speak like 'The client, a leading provider of widgets to the sub-prime market...'?

Comment

I'd put the client names down. I'm in Investment Banking and I don't have a problem naming the clients direct.

Obviously be careful of any NDAs etc.

Comment

If I see "An Energy Company" rather than "Enron" you probably won't get an interview. Most hiring managers I know like to know the name of the company. I suppose some, somewhere, might hold the opposite view.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Uly View Post
                Thanks for the advice. I'm using the 'killer' CV template on the main site, so listing by project sounds like it will fit in nicely.

When listing projects and clients you have worked for, is it kosher to mention the client name? Or do you have to use recruitment speak like 'The client, a leading provider of widgets to the sub-prime market...'?
                It's been said here, but I'll add my bit.

I split the 7 years consultancy by saying "Worked for XXXX between XXX and XXX. Key projects included:"

Unless there is an NDA or any security implications, then name the client. My current one just says "major government department" as I can't say where it is.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                X