• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Developing games

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Developing games

My 14 year old wants to be a games developer when he grows up. How do you get into that? What should he be experimenting with now (other than girls ) to be able to get into that whan he leaves school? I'm going to have to buy it though, so nothing too expensive. I thank you all....
    35,000 TPD - 28/11/2007, 19:15
    (Special Sportsmanship credit to NickFitz)

Originally posted by Apache View Post
    My 14 year old wants to be a games developer when he grows up. How do you get into that? What should he be experimenting with now (other than girls ) to be able to get into that whan he leaves school? I'm going to have to buy it though, so nothing too expensive. I thank you all....
    http://www.worldofspectrum.org/
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Don't.

I was developing games when I was young and even managed to get interview in Bullfrog where senior person there told me something like this - in that business creative new games are hard to come by, you won't get finance - Electronic Arts that owns Bullfrog (maybe they shut them down now) makes most of money on boring games like Football 2008.

To add to this - young devs will be exploited big time and salary is crap.

These days games are very expensive, so people who are lucky to work on a well known title will do a small piece of the job - there ain't even glory of being one of 3-4 people who made top game, he will be another name at the end of the titles that noone will ever look at.

Comment

Zx81

Ahhh, nostalgia. I had a ZX81 with the rubber keyboard and the stupid little RAM pack that you had to wedge in place with a box of matches - it stayed in place just long enough for you to type in 400 lines of basic then it would move and wipe the lot - happy days.

Comment

"salary is carp"

Strange method of payment - carp - Handy for tea though, or for starting a fish farm for when your development career grinds to a halt.

Comment

You can also say that salary is petals.

Comment

?

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              You can also say that salary is petals.
              ??? You'll have to explain, my aging brain has shut down for the evening

Comment

One of the old timers will explain, I am going to play a computer game now

Comment

i'd say there must be more job satisfaction coding in the gaming industry than your typical 9-5, even if it does pay peanuts.. horses for courses i suppose..

i used to love my games but have hardly touched them in 6 years.. however, one game has smashed that barren spell: age of empires 3.. how i love this game!

Comment

Games take something like two years to develop these days. I know people who have and do work in the games industry, and they all say they get completely fed up of the game before long.
                    Cats are evil.

Comment

Working...
                    X