• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Somme and the Ypres Salient

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Somme and the Ypres Salient

Back from my fourth visit to the Somme and the Ypres Salient. As always highly recommended. For those who have been the new visitor centre at Tyne Cot is especially worthwhile.

For the uninitiated, the whole experience is very visible and well presented and there is a huge amount to see and experience outside of just the cemeteries. I find especially poignant the dozens of old shells and mortar cases which continue to be dug up and are left stacked along the roadside for collection by the authorities.

Extremely thought provoking and always gets everything back into perspective for me. And Lo ! The first pieces of news on arriving back in Blightly are that someone called Patsy Parker is rejoining a soap and house prices have slowed

"In Flanders Fields ..."

I have been living 15 minutes down the Menen Road for the last year and have visited a number of WW 1 sites. Particularly poignant at this time of year.

Wear your poppy with pride.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

i'd love to go to hill 62 memorial, the museum and sanctuary wood cemetery. i will, one day...

Comment

Ypres and the Somme are both in their own unique ways moving, humbling places.
        Have patience. In time, even grass becomes milk.

Comment

WW1 battlefields

I spent a few days touring the WW1 battlefields, cemetaries and memorials a few years ago. very interesting and moving. I plan to return when my son is old enough to appreciate it.

I still get a lump in my throat when I hear "the last post".

Comment

Working...
          X