PDA

View Full Version : cheap foreign currency

poser
29th October 2007, 14:48
Hi all,
Going over to Switzerland for a weekend, any recommendations on where to exchange currency?

Pondlife
29th October 2007, 14:50
M & S are usually better than the highstreet banks IMO

Lucifer Box
29th October 2007, 14:51
M & S are usually better than the highstreet banks IMO
Seconded. They are normally among the most competitive.

poser
29th October 2007, 14:52
their websh*te was down wen i tried, have to try them again

Moscow Mule
29th October 2007, 14:58
Use M&S but go in with cash, don't pay by card as most banks charge you a cash advance fee for currency (even on debit cards).

Swiss Tony
29th October 2007, 15:45
I use City Forex http://www.cityforex.co.uk/

They have always been spot on for me, plus they will deliver if you are in London

poser
29th October 2007, 15:47
any suggestiond of things to do in Zurich?

or is that swiss tony the dodgy car salesman?

NotAllThere
29th October 2007, 18:56
Things to do/see in Z├╝rich - it depends on what you enjoy. Btw, credit cards are not as universally accepted as they are in the UK. If you've any Euros, you can spend those in most places - not at the best exchange rate of course!

thunderlizard
29th October 2007, 19:02
Have a comb through the t's and c's of your bank accounts and see if you've got a special offer you didn't know about.

AtW
29th October 2007, 19:15
I usually pay with gold bars - works like a charm with the Swiss.

threaded.

tim123
30th October 2007, 08:58
There is no cheap way to change folding money in developed countries.

Use your bank card in an ATM, it is *always* cheaper than a bureau(assuming you take more than 20 quid).

tim

Pondlife
30th October 2007, 09:02
There is no cheap way to change folding money in developed countries.

Use your bank card in an ATM, it is *always* cheaper than a bureau(assuming you take more than 20 quid).

tim

Eh, That's just plain tulips! You will get your banks exchange rate of the day plus a handling charge.

Surely it's cheaper to buy the currency beforehand after shopping around for rates (which is what the OP is asking).

cailin maith
30th October 2007, 09:02
I agree M&S are good...

Usually just use my bank card though - it works out best for me!

oracleslave
30th October 2007, 09:04
Eh, That's just plain tulips! You will get your banks exchange rate of the day plus a handling charge.

Surely it's cheaper to buy the currency beforehand after shopping around for rates (which is what the OP is asking).

Actually I agree with Tim. I think if you limit the number of withdrawals i.e. make them for large sums it works out significantly cheaper than paying commossion twice i.e. once before departure and a second time upon return.

poser
30th October 2007, 09:04
thanks for the money advice people, now what is recommended to do in Zurich?

Pondlife
30th October 2007, 09:06
I work on the mainland and have not found anything cheaper than buying a couple of hundred quids worth of Euros in M&S whilst doing the the weekly shop.

I would love to know a cheaper way though!

Pondlife
30th October 2007, 09:09
Actually I agree with Tim. I think if you limit the number of withdrawals i.e. make them for large sums it works out significantly cheaper than paying commossion twice i.e. once before departure and a second time upon return.

No one pays commission anymore you just get a noddy rate. This is the same rate your bank will give you when you withdraw at the ATM machine PLUS a handling charge!

I believe that natwest have an account that doesn't sting you for a handling charge but you still get the same carp rate.

The rates you get from the highstreet banks are dismay to say the least.

Edit: Plus, who returns Euros? You know you'll use them again so why bother?

oracleslave
30th October 2007, 09:12
No one pays commission anymore you just get a noddy rate. This is the same rate your bank will give you when you withdraw at the ATM machine PLUS a handling charge!

I believe that natwest have an account that doesn't sting you for a handling charge but you still get the same carp rate.

The rates you get from the highstreet banks are dismay to say the least.

Edit: Plus, who returns Euros? You know you'll use them again so why bother?

I stand corrected if thats the case.

Pondlife
30th October 2007, 09:15
I stand corrected if thats the case.

Always HTH ;)

alreadypacked
30th October 2007, 09:29
thanks for the money advice people, now what is recommended to do in Zurich?

There are a couple of English pubs in Zurich if you want to meet some English nannies. If you want to eat somewhere relaxed I like Globus on Belview down by the lake. The buzz area before I left was Hardbruck lots of bars etc.

tim123
30th October 2007, 10:21

I'm not sure what Tulips are as an insult, but I suggest that you look at the bid-offer spread at a bureau. 10% is the norm, 15% not uncommon.

tim

Pondlife
30th October 2007, 10:41
I'm not sure what Tulips are as an insult, but I suggest that you look at the bid-offer spread at a bureau. 10% is the norm, 15% not uncommon.

tim

And what do you get when you use your ATM card then?

'Tulips' is a reference to the mods recent swear word filter. :D

tim123
30th October 2007, 11:18
And what do you get when you use your ATM card then?

A 2% discount on the exchange rate and a fixed fee of 2 pounds, which if you take 200 quid (which is the maximum I seem to be allowed) is another 1% for a 3% total.

By using my Nationwide account I don't get the 2 pound fee.

tim