• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Good news - Loads more immigrants!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good news - Loads more immigrants!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7068291.stm

Work and Pensions Secretary Peter Hain has apologised after ministers admitted that 300,000 more immigrants were working in the UK than first thought.

New figures show that the number of foreign nationals employed in the UK since 1997 is 1.1m, not the 800,000 officially recorded.

Fantastic. Every single immigrant pays loads of taxes, increases demand for housing and so makes us property owners richer, reduces the cost of services (e.g. plumbers) and looks after us when we are older.

I thank god you all voted Labour.

At what point does migration supplant national identity: i.e. at what point does England/Scotland etc. cease to exist as anything other than 'territory'? Is Brent /Newham 'English', though existing in the territory of England?

Comment

Does anyone know if the immigration we are currently seeing in the UK is taking place in other countries in Europe.

I would imagine so, right?

As in I don't think it is a purely UK phenomenon.

Comment

Yes and no. We were the only country that didn't apply restrictions to eastern Europeans working here after they joined the EU. Because only 13,000 would come.

Comment

It's happening where I am too. TPTB doing the same trick, under-reporting the numbers.

But my personal, bicycling experience, tells me there are a serious number of Polish workers here, and they're possibly even worse with roundabouts than the locals are!

Whenever there is a car or van parked on the cycle path, which used to be rare, it would be a crashed heap or a lost Swede / German. Now it is quite common, and nearly always Polish workers parking illegal like.

Everyone seems to be getting their house done up. A gang of Poles will do you a new bathroom in a weekend. Cash in hand, no questions asked, and a real quality job. It can take several months to get a local company to even turn up and look, never mind quote...

One of my clients has lost one of their best developers. He can speak Polish, he's getting paid loads more, again cash in hand, to go around and translate.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
            Does anyone know if the immigration we are currently seeing in the UK is taking place in other countries in Europe.

Switzerland is being overrun by foreign racing drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100 View Post
              Yes and no. We were the only country that didn't apply restrictions to eastern Europeans working here after they joined the EU. Because only 13,000 would come.
              The Irish & Swedish as well - Ireland has higher rates of EU immigration than us.

The whole restriction thing really hacked me off. It was obvious that putting artificial constraints on where people could work would force them to those economies where they could. Why add countries to the EU if you want to restrict one of the core principles of the org (free movement of labour & goods)?

Some of the stuff you hear form citizens of the 'core' EU makes me wonder how Britain got stitched up as being the most anti-european of the memebers. At least we apply the laws ffs! Some of the lot over here have real problems with the concept of the Polish or Hungarians even being European.

Maybe its time to ditch the whole thing and start invading each other again. Its gotta beat wasting 30% of the EU budget bribing bumpkin goat-f3ckers to not dump their ex-girlfriends outside Berlaymont.
              Last edited by Rantor; 30 October 2007, 08:03.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post

Yes it is. Right. No.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Guys I don't suppose these posts shows any intolerance of any kind eh? I was told that English people are very very tolerant of foreigners... in fact LG said England is the best country in the world for tolerance... don't disappoint him please

Comment

Originally posted by SandyDown View Post
                    Guys I don't suppose these posts shows any intolerance of any kind eh? I was told that English people are very very tolerant of foreigners... in fact LG said England is the best country in the world for tolerance... don't disappoint him please
                    The thing about being tolerant is that sometimes you just,

SNAP!
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                    X