• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fireworks should be banned

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fireworks should be banned

Youths set off fireworks and rockets near a friend's sheep and horses on Sat night. His collie dog took fright, ran blindly onto the A75 road near Castle Douglas and was killed. The horses and sheep were OK but rocket sticks found in their field.

It really is time fireworks were for organised public displays only. Every year there are accidents and injuries to people, wildlife and domestic animals, the elderly in towns too frightened to go out etc etc Horses are particularly vulnerable and often try to jump fences in the dark to escape, resulting in serious injuries or death. Owners can prepare and keep animals safe one night a year.

I have trawled amongst the petitions--this seems the best and I would be grateful if you would add to signatories--thank you

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Firework-abuse

We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to License the use of fireworks for public display only on recognised dates

Every year countless pet and wild animals are killed owing to the random letting off of fireworks. Children, in the main, insist on annoying and terrifying elderly people and pets. There is no end to it and I ask the government to restrict the purchase and use of fireworks to public display only. I am not against fireworks but I am against their random 24/7 abuse.

Agree it should perhaps not be year round but public displays only? Balls to that. Too many restrictions on enjoyment by millions on the basis of an occasional abuse. How many other collie dogs have been frightened onto the A57 and killed? Name one. Pah! you can't can you?
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Perhaps the government could pay EDS £10bn for a database to track every firework ever made.....blah blah...

Comment

I agree with Kamau, always have on this one. Let's face it, fireworks are explosives. If someone was selling explosives to anyone over the age of 16, they'd be locked up pretty quickly.

And it's always the innocents who get hurt. There aren't any occasions when the yobs who are trying to scare old people and animals get their hands blown off, is it.

Comment

Let's ban cars - they kill around 4000 people very year.

Also lets ban living - this kills millions every year.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            Also lets ban living - this kills millions every year.
            I think you'll find that dying kills people, not living. HTH.

Comment

What nonsense. Putting bangers in cowpats, dog turds and milk bottles made some of the fondest memories of my youth. I shall be doing the full Dad thing of getting some beers down me and then entertaining the kids by lighting fireworks with a fag (and I don't care what anyone says, fags are THE best way of lighting fireworks).

Remember folks, we're celebrating someone trying to blow up the Houses of Parliament.
              Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Originally posted by Moose423956 View Post
                I agree with Kamau, always have on this one. Let's face it, fireworks are explosives. If someone was selling explosives to anyone over the age of 16, they'd be locked up pretty quickly.

And it's always the innocents who get hurt. There aren't any occasions when the yobs who are trying to scare old people and animals get their hands blown off, is it.
                Does that mean you can sell explosives to under 16s?

Maybe Yobs are just more firework savvy. Probably comes from the fact they use them more than good people.

I say fireworks are a good idea. If me and some mates want to organise a party and use some fireworks why should some tulips make that not possible for me.

Its like IR35. Its only needed because some people who ARE employees decided to blatantly take the daisy (no salary, max divis, 9billion a day subsistence)- where as people who are in business on their own account got shafted.

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
                  Remember folks, we're celebrating someone trying to blow up the Houses of Parliament.
                  Amen to that brother.

Does that mean becuase the IRA tried to do the same with Semtex then we can let some off in celebration.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
                    Does that mean you can sell explosives to under 16s?
                    No. What I was trying to say..oh, what's the point. No-one cares what I think anyway. I'm going to bed.

Comment

Working...
                    X