• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

There are more immigrants in the UK than we thought

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are more immigrants in the UK than we thought

duh... http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle2770296.ece

"They took our jobs!"

Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

It gets better

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7069779.stm

"In a further development, a Parliamentary answer obtained by the Conservatives has revealed 1.5 million foreign-born workers have come to work in Britain in the past 10 years. "
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

The daft assumption by too many is that ANY new jobs must be good. Not necessarily. You could probably still sell Robin Reliants if you could make them cheap enough, I'd certainly be interested for about £3k.

They do the low paid jobs that British workers don't want to do. How often do you hear that? But hang on, many/most of the UK's indigenous lowest paid workers need welfare topups and they don't send much of their money abroad. Jobs that pay so little that the workers then need topups or welfare to survive are only good news for the bosses concerned, they are of no net benefit to the economy. Such jobs SHOULD disappear, to be replaced by those more suited to a first world economy.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        Such jobs SHOULD disappear, to be replaced by those more suited to a first world economy.
        It seems like the first world economy jobs are disappearing instead, going to India and China. Plenty of bog cleaners jobs though, now and in the future.
        I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Its all spin. There may be more "jobs". Anything over 16 hours a week is regarded as a job so what used to called part time workers are now regarded as the employed.
          Incomes are shrinking as is the tax take.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

The government believe all jobs are equal.

So when 1,000,000 top end IT jobs go because the work is now being done in India, or a high tech manufacturer goes, because workers in China can make the goods cheaper, New Labour point out that an equal number of public sector non-jobs, cleaners, farm labourers and shelf stackers have been created to replace them. Net effect is to drag the UK nearer to the 3rd world.

Absolutely doomed mate!

Comment

Believe it or not, this is good news. The tide is turning, 3 months ago I'd have bet Labour would win the next general election.
              But even The Sun is turning against Labour now. Chuck in a few more repossessions next year, an increase in unemployment, yet more immigration, influential business leaders unhappy with taper relief (including those who control the media) and the Tory poll lead will jump higher.

The shocking level of incompetance at every level is getting through to the idiots that voted for them last time.

Comment

They do the low paid jobs that British workers don't want to do. How often do you hear that?
                At least 5 times a day. In reality the harder/worse the job, the worse the pay/conditions are it seems. Is it such a crazy notion to pay higher wages for carp jobs that ‘no one wants to do’ instead of driving down the value of these jobs with mass immigration?

Comment

Working...
                X