• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CGT U-Turn

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CGT U-Turn

Just wondering how (if at all) the rummoured CGT "U-Turn" in the news at the moment might impact a contractor/Limited Co setup?

As I understand it, the proposal would be to allow the first £100,000 to be tax free upon the sale of a business when retiring. It would be a one off to avoid abuse.

If one were to say retire early (moving overseas permanently), could this be used as a vehicle to remove capital from a limited company more tax efficiently?

Thoughts?
    Eamon

I'd be more interested in seeing a u-turn on the S660 reprisals. A blatant case of a pram/toys tantrum if ever I saw one.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

More like a blatant case of the New Liebour blatant stealth tax methodology

'Hmm, we want to introduce a tax on [A]'. How do we do it?

I know, we cause a hell of a stink taxing [A], [B], [C] and [D] and [breathing]'

Wait a couple of days, then recant them all except [A].

'Win-win ...innit?'

RS

Comment

You'd have to sell the business. Who would buy a personal service company without the person who provides the personal service? It'd be worthless.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Eamon View Post
          Just wondering how (if at all) the rummoured CGT "U-Turn" in the news at the moment might impact a contractor/Limited Co setup?

As I understand it, the proposal would be to allow the first £100,000 to be tax free upon the sale of a business when retiring. It would be a one off to avoid abuse.

If one were to say retire early (moving overseas permanently), could this be used as a vehicle to remove capital from a limited company more tax efficiently?

Thoughts?
          Eamon
          Obviously it will be a pale imitation of the tax breaks available pre-April.

Until it becomes legislation we won't know, but as a concept it has a few holes...

Define "retire" for starters...what happens if you "retire", get bored and decide to start working again?

The fact that you apparently have to "sell" rather than "wind up" means it's not as good as ESC C16 or MVL.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            You'd have to sell the business. Who would buy a personal service company without the person who provides the personal service? It'd be worthless.
            Not really. Its worth how much money is in he bank account. If your company has 100k in the bank as retained profit, i will buy it from you for 95k. Hows that?
            The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
              Not really. Its worth how much money is in he bank account. If your company has 100k in the bank as retained profit, i will buy it from you for 95k. Hows that?
              I don't think that quite works. Even taking it as a facetious remark, how would you extract the £95k without paying any tax on it?

The latest "u turn" doesn't help our kind of business at all, unless you van build it up to being a small consultancy rather than a one-person operation. It's designed to help people sell on their family owned shops etc. rather than to help contractors cream a bit more cash.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                I don't think that quite works. Even taking it as a facetious remark, how would you extract the £95k without paying any tax on it?

The latest "u turn" doesn't help our kind of business at all, unless you van build it up to being a small consultancy rather than a one-person operation. It's designed to help people sell on their family owned shops etc. rather than to help contractors cream a bit more cash.
                Well, you've just sold the business for 95k? So whats to extract? I dont see how its any different than if I had sold a consultancy for 95k. Just because the consultancy might of had 100k of goodwill instead of 100k of assest, makes no difference.

Comment

But why would any sane person pay the £95k in the first place?

If they have the £95k in cash to give you, they could loan it to a new company of their own, and extract it in a more tax efficient manner in the future than they could the £100k they have just bought.

If you disagree, then I'm happy for you to buy my company at the same %age.

Comment

Originally posted by Crossroads View Post
                    But why would any sane person pay the £95k in the first place?

If they have the £95k in cash to give you, they could loan it to a new company of their own, and extract it in a more tax efficient manner in the future than they could the £100k they have just bought.

If you disagree, then I'm happy for you to buy my company at the same %age.
                    I dont think the other company would want to "extract" the 100k. They would start with 95k, and after buying your company they would have 100k. So would have a made 5k profit on the deal. Repeat ad infinitum.

Comment

Working...
                    X