• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Move Over Columbian Hostages

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Move Over Columbian Hostages

Irish man rescued after falling for 419 scam

An Irish man who was kidnapped after falling for an email fraud scam was rescued when police raided a hotel in the capital of Ghana where he was being held captive.

James Lafferty, 49, from Ennis, Co Clare, had been held hostage for about five days while kidnappers demanded money for his safe return. He was freed after police received a tip.

Lafferty visited the west African country last week in an attempt to recover money he had paid the email scammers. The kidnappers took him hostage, then contacted his family and business associates in Ireland and demanded more money.

"He is currently safe and well in the Honorary Consulate in Accra after being freed by local police, a spokesman for the Department of Foreign Affairs told the BBC.

One man has been arrested. It is understood that the kidnappers were unarmed.
    What would you have done?

Shaunbhoy? AtW? Churchill?

Of course, it does without saying that Threaded would have taken out the entire gang with a small fruit knife secreted in his shoe but lesser mortals might not have that option.

Sounds like something AtW would do (Not the falling for it in the first place part, to give him some credit).
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

What's the betting his family and business associates told the kidnappers they wouldn't pay a penny and to just go ahead and top him?

Comment

One would have to be pretty retarded to go to Nigeria trying to get your money back without armed support.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          One would have to be pretty retarded to go to Nigeria trying to get your money back without armed support.
          Maybe that's why he went to Ghana instead?

I notice they don't say how much they stung him for. That might colour your decision making processes if you were looking at a life of living in a cardboard box due to your stupidity.

I personally know someone who was taken to the tune of £200k by a fake gold mine scam and his wife was, shall we say, somewhat less than pleased when she found out. I only wish I'd got to him first.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box View Post
            Irish man rescued after falling for 419 scam

What would you have done?

Shaunbhoy? AtW? Churchill?

Of course, it does without saying that Threaded would have taken out the entire gang with a small fruit knife secreted in his shoe but lesser mortals might not have that option.
            First rule in self-defence. Never put yourself in a position where you need to use the other 9 rules.

Comment

"One would have to be pretty retarded to go to Nigeria trying to get your money back without armed support."

My sister is married to an Irish guy and while she isn't the sharpest knife in the box, he is somewhat lower league than her when it comes to matters of the head. This is a guy who while watching Pearl Harbour said

'But dis never happened did it? I mean yer man never attacked da Hamericans like dis'

When my brother realised that he was actually asking a question and not being just stupid he told his about how this brought the US into WW2. To which he replied

'World War 2! What's that all about then'

My brother in law is on a par with the thick one out of Farther Ted. To put it this way I woulod not be going anywhere near to any rocket he designs.
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
                "

My sister is married to an Irish guy ....

'But dis never happened did it? I mean yer man never attacked da Hamericans like dis'

Jamaican
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  Jamaican
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

No Irish

Just read it in their comedy accent
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                    X