• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lumbar Puncture

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lumbar Puncture

May I offer some advice ?

DON'T.

Quite possibly the most painful medical procedure I have ever experienced.

Lay on left side, curled in to foetal position.

Back scrubbed and then each vertebrae prodded and poked and diagrammed with a medical pencil.

Then, once the selected entry point is found, a local anaesthetic to the area. Ouch !

Then the needle goes in and <THUNK!> they hit a bone (I hit the roof in agony).

Wiggle the needle around (owwww oowwww owwww) and find another route.
    <SMASH> the needle nudges a nerve cluster (My legs kick out in reflex response).

By this time, I am quivering in fear like a bunny in the L'Oreal laboratory.

This is just the warm-up for the main action.

Now the fun really begins…

Out comes the needle, and they decide on some more local anaesthetic.

They try the needle again in a different route. <BUMP> Bone collision again (Major pain, even with 2 local anaesthetics now).

Another wiggle….<THUNK!> > 100 points…hit a nerve cluster. I dance on the bed like a demented marionette.

At this point, I’m shaking uncontrollably, sweating buckets, swearing like a trooper (inwardly of course) and I say to the trainee…”Look, I’ve had enough being guinea-pigged, so do you mind handing over to the consultant standing next to you. Nothing personal, but I’ve reached my tolerance of sustained torture this afternoon.”

So the consultant takes over. With a bigger needle. I almost go catatonic when I see that’s it’s the medical surgical steel equivalent of a telegraph pole.

<brace brace brace>

In it goes…<BUMP> hits a bone again and I can feel it and hear it scrape across the surface.

Consultant apologizes profusely. Another 2 shots of local anaesthetic. I’m now on more drugs than Ozzy.

In it goes again. <THUNK!> > owwww…<BUMP>owwww <TWINGE> oowww….(I’m now holding my breath and counting to 10….at 10 I’ll ask for an abort……6…7…8…9….)

<BINGO!>

“We’re in” the consultant says…

(Thank flip for that, I think). Drip drip drip…got the spinal fluid. All done.

Out it comes <minor twinge> and I lay on the bed, a dishevelled shell of my former self, shaking, in agony.

I say thanks (god knows why), and both of them mutter, then leave, then I sleep for the rest of the afternoon.

Back home now, on Co-Codamol (which I have to buy myself, the Hospital won’t give you anything to take home..it saves the pennies).

Had a constant headache for the last 7 hours. Thankfully has now worn off (any longer and they said it could be a “leak” and I’d have to go back to have it sealed ? Have it sealed ? what with ? A flipping soldering iron probably)

Everyone told me in advance how bad this proceedure was going to be.

Personally, it wasn't too bad.

IT WAS FLIPPING AWFUL !!!!

Now got to wait 6-12 weeks for the results.
    Tomorrow night, Beer and I are going to be good friends….

I'm never going to complain about man-flu ever again...
    Last edited by Board Game Geek; 2 November 2007, 00:45.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Thanks for a most entertaining read. Quite made my day in a schadenfreude kind of way.

btw - you should have turned it up to 11.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Why did you have this procedure done?

I am very interested as I recently had a pain killing operation for a prolapsed L4/L5 disc which is scraping a nerve. And I am considering having the disc scraped so I am very very interested.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by andrew_neil_uk View Post
        Why did you have this procedure done?

I am very interested as I recently had a pain killing operation for a prolapsed L4/L5 disc which is scarping a nerve. And I am considering having the disc scarped so I am very very interested.

Thanks
        scraping
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          scarping
          HUH ?!!!

OH (slaps head) it's this crap word substitution again

(Bad luck about the lumbar puncture BGG. I Hope the tests come back OK.)
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Never had one myself but I had to hold my 1 day old daughter why she had one, not a very nice experience !

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
              Never had one myself but I had to hold my 1 day old daughter why she had one, not a very nice experience !
              Same here...

I don't think they ask you whether you would like one or not, it was obviously deemed essential, but I feel your pain..

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
                Same here...

I don't think they ask you whether you would like one or not, it was obviously deemed essential, but I feel your pain..
                We grilled them on it and I asked Dr mates in advance. Seemed a bit OTT to me as it was just a precaution but my GP mate said its quite routine and safe(?) for newborns and trust the consultants judgement was the way to go. I guess we'd of been jumping up and down and demanding heads roll if she'd of got Strep B and they hadn't checked via a lumbar puncture.

Comment

BGG I feel sorry for you to have to go through all that. I've got a hernia op to prepare for at some point and I'm dreading it... it's a routine procedure but my first time is hospital. And anyway, it's always the "routine" ops that go wrong eh!
                  Last edited by ChimpMaster; 2 November 2007, 09:21.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
                    We grilled them on it and I asked Dr mates in advance. Seemed a bit OTT to me as it was just a precaution but my GP mate said its quite routine and safe(?) for newborns and trust the consultants judgement was the way to go. I guess we'd of been jumping up and down and demanding heads roll if she'd of got Strep B and they hadn't checked via a lumbar puncture.
                    Mine was for meningitis, and it can be routine, better safe than sorry

Comment

Working...
                    X