• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Funerals

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funerals

Fortunately I don't have much experience of these, but I have one to go to. Not a family member or anyone close, but somebody I'd got to know and would like to pay my respects to.

I don't know whether I should be breaking out the suit and a black tie, or just turn up in my normal clothes. Obviously I wouldn't wear anything that might be disrespectful.

What's the done thing?
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

use your normal clothes, as you said not disrespectful, unfortunately I had to attend a few, they are not any where as bad as you expect, the ones I went to were really good, it was just like a really big family and friends gathering, everyone caught up with everyone else's news, the occasion does make people feel softer, and easier to chat to. I can honestly say I have enjoyed the ones I went to, you also get to meet new people and relax.

I know its a sad occasion, and I do not wish to go on another funeral, but found them to be a good gathering.... way, way way much better than wedding or Xmas gathering when everyone is stressed out and critical of everyone else.

Comment

Suit and a black tie.

Sorry Sandy, while everything else you say is probably correct only plebs turn up to a funeral in casuals.
      I'm Spartacus.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
        Suit and a black tie.

Sorry Sandy, while everything else you say is probably correct only plebs turn up to a funeral in casuals.
        Didn't say casual, last thing you wanna do is go casual

But a dark trousers/jacket and a shirt without a tie is acceptable, it doesn't have to be a balck tie affair

Comment

Sorry I supposed I should've guessed that normal clothes means different things to different people so if normal clothes to you T-shirt , shorts and flip flops then nooooo - wear formal trousers and a jacket.

Comment

Don't mess around, suit and a black tie. It's the least you can do to show your respect for the deceased.
            I'm Spartacus.

Comment

It depends on the person and whether they had any wishes.

A friend of a friend asked everyone to dress in really bright colours for the funeral - her idea was to try and put the FUN into funeral. The friend had a real dilemma though about whether she would feel right in a bright red dress at a funeral... In the end she wore something bright, but not flamboyant to try and balance it - she felt comfortable, plus it was what her friend wanted.

I would err on the side of caution in the absence of anything else - suit, shirt and tie. Nothing too flashy or patterned.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

it has to be dark suit and black tie unless specifically instructed otherwise.

Comment

No brainer - suit and black tie.

Comment

Mr Blobby suit

Comment

Working...
                    X