• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oz, land of sunshine, sport and sexism

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oz, land of sunshine, sport and sexism

It has not been a good month for the Aussies, and fresh from their humiliating defeat by England in the RWC there is an article in todays Telegraph suggesting that their men have not moved on from the era of the sexist ocker

I like this one especially:

Magistrates also make an appearance. One in New South Wales told a female defendant: "Come back when your IQ is as high as your skirt."

They may like to think of themselves as Snags – or Sensitive New Age Guys – but a book to be published this week suggests that many Australian men are still Neanderthals when it comes to their attitudes towards women.

The book will undo years of effort by modern Aussies to bury the ocker stereotypes of Crocodile Dundee and Sir Les Patterson.

Described by its authors as a "portfolio of piggery", it is an anthology of toxic insults and casual put-downs compiled from more than a decade of Australian public life.

advertisementNick Bideau, the former trainer and boyfriend of the Aboriginal Olympic sprinter Cathy Freeman, is included for saying: "I never turned away from Cathy. No matter how fat she was."

Commenting on the trial of pregnancy – for men – Joe Hockey, a government minister, once said: "Well, it's exhausting for me, her being pregnant.

"I don't know why, during the birth process they only focus on the women. What about the men standing there? I mean, that's pretty hard. Well, as long as they get the cricket in the hospital."

The book is the culmination of a tongue-in-cheek contest started in 1993, when a group of women gathered in Sydney to celebrate the retirement of a notoriously sexist trade union official named Ernie.

The gathering gave rise to the annual Ernie Awards, "the world's premier event shaming men for outrageous sexism".

The Ernies Book, subtitled "1,000 terrible things Australian men have said about women", features quotes from sportsmen, businessmen, journalists and politicians – including the prime minister John Howard.

Magistrates also make an appearance. One in New South Wales told a female defendant: "Come back when your IQ is as high as your skirt."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.../wcomic105.xml
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Is Australia the new Galapagos, where evolution stopped for hundreds of years?

Comment

Anyone else seeing the irony of a thread regarding Aussie men being sexist, on this board?

And yes, having lived there, they most definitely are sexist (And racist). You lot would fit right in.
      Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Having another pious moment snaw?

Comment

Purely observational.

Why, you reckon I'm wrong?

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
            Purely observational.

Why, you reckon I'm wrong?
            I do. If you're inferring that this forum is a den of racism, then I think you're completely wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
              I do. If you're inferring that this forum is a den of racism, then I think you're completely wrong.
              Well not sure how I'd define a 'den' of racism, but there certainly seems to be a steady stream of racist comments, on a sadly regular basis.

Actually case in point, not saying you're a racist (Can't recall you making any blatantly racist comments, then again can't recall you making too many interesting posts either)) but you're certainly guilty of making plenty of derogatory remarks based on some-one's nationality.

Comment

Well not sure how I'd define a 'den' of racism, but there certainly seems to be a steady stream of racist comments, on a sadly regular basis.

Actually case in point, not saying you're a racist (Can't recall you making any blatantly racist comments, then again can't recall you making too many interesting posts either)) but you're certainly guilty of making plenty of derogatory remarks based on some-one's nationality.
                I'm not sure pointing out a nationalist trait can be construed as derogatory. However if the cap fits.

More vinegar?

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                  I'm not sure pointing out a nationalist trait can be construed as derogatory. However if the cap fits.

More vinegar?
                  So you constant bile towards all things Scottish is meant as some sort of complement then? Pardon me for misinterpretting your small minded (Sadly the only one kind you can make) comments.

BTW It's national, not nationalist. If you want to be a spelling and grammar bore then best be sure you don't go making any mistakes yourself.

Comment

So you constant bile towards all things Scottish is meant as some sort of complement then? Pardon me for misinterpretting your small minded (Sadly the only one kind you can make) comments.

BTW It's national, not nationalist. If you want to be a spelling and grammar bore then best be sure you don't go making any mistakes yourself.
                    I chose the word "nationalist" for a reason. There's a difference between being proud to be a Scot and being a member of the "chip on the shoulder brigade" that some of you belong to.

Your arrogant post - in correcting a word that you thought was incorrect - shows this.

Comment

Working...
                    X