• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Discovery of the day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discovery of the day

I have a luminous drinks mat on my desk at home and have just discovered that an optical mouse doesn't work on it when used as a mouse mat. How weird. Why's this then?
    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

You need service pack 3 for this to work. It is a hardware/driver fault.

Or switch to Linux.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
      I have a luminous drinks mat on my desk at home and have just discovered that an optical mouse doesn't work on it when used as a mouse mat. How weird. Why's this then?
      An optical mouse works by tracking the light reflection of the light produced by the mouse itself. The luminescence of the mat is probably drowning out the signal produced by the mouse so the reflection is lost in the general brightness that its' receptors are getting.

Sorry - if I'm right I apologise for being so brainy so early in the morning. If I'm wrong then I retract my apology.
      Last edited by KathyWoolfe; 5 November 2007, 10:56.
      It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

your mouse is upside down
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

It's the photons, they've phucked it!

Comment

Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
            An optical mouse works by tracking the light reflection of the light produced by the mouse itself. The luminescence of the mat is probably drowning out the signal produced by the mouse so the reflection is lost in the general brightness that its' receptors are getting.
            Quite possibly.

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
            your mouse is upside down
            More likely.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Because the ambient temperature has fallen drastically today, you have inadvertently created a Bose–Einstein condensate cloud under your mouse. Unfortunately, the mouse mat atoms have collapsed into the lowest quantum state of the external potential, at which point what you are seeing is the results of quantum effects on a larger scale in action.

Threaded
              If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Have you plugged it in?
                Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

It has been checked and double checked as I've got two optical mice on the go at the moment and neither work. One's a full size one and one's a mini laptop one. They're both Microsoft ones though so I might need to widen the sample.

It must be something to do with the light coming back drowning out the reflected light from the mouse. Have also tried the mice on the window and they don't work on glass with light coming through.

Feck me I'm bored today!
                  Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Now I know who stole my photon-slowing-device.

threaded

Comment

Working...
                    X