• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Keen Muppets

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keen Muppets

So, how should I deal with this?

My current gig was to produce a prototype system using GeeWhizz (names changed to protect the innocent), then hand over development to a couple of internal devs. Prototype was produced, client happy, started to do the hand-over in good time before end of contract (4 weeks).

Problem is, the 2 permies here have no experience of the technology, and both are reasonably fresh devs. Both keen to learn, but I have no doubt that they will come a cropper something awful in 4 weeks. This isn’t some desperate vanity. I’ve 5 years experience in this reasonably niche technology, and 20 years dev.

What do I do?

I guess I should have said something at the start of the engagement, but I often find I’m a bit too keen . So, how do I tell the client that they will be tuliped if they don’t extend me? How do I sound like I’m not trying to hang them over a barrel? Or should I even try – perhaps I’ll just do my best and cross fingers.

My gut feel is that I should just tell the client now about the risk.
    Regards, J.

Originally posted by johhnysalad View Post
    Done. They had the first dry run at a deploy cycle today. It was pitiful. .
    Regards, J.

Comment

Before making the prototype you should have checked with the client that they have the skills among permies to take on full work IF prototype was successful.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Before making the prototype you should have checked with the client that they have the skills among permies to take on full work IF prototype was successful.
        They had already selected the technology, signed contracts (based on the technology), and attempted to reach the first contract milestone (which was a prototype). They saw the impending failure (and loss of first big invoice), and that's when they brought me in.

They already knew.

All I saw was extension
        Regards, J.

Comment

In which case you might want to increase your rates, CUK styley

Comment

Originally posted by johhnysalad View Post
            So, how should I deal with this?

My current gig was to produce a prototype system using GeeWhizz (names changed to protect the innocent), then hand over development to a couple of internal devs. Prototype was produced, client happy, started to do the hand-over in good time before end of contract (4 weeks).

Problem is, the 2 permies here have no experience of the technology, and both are reasonably fresh devs. Both keen to learn, but I have no doubt that they will come a cropper something awful in 4 weeks. This isn’t some desperate vanity. I’ve 5 years experience in this reasonably niche technology, and 20 years dev.

What do I do?

I guess I should have said something at the start of the engagement, but I often find I’m a bit too keen . So, how do I tell the client that they will be tuliped if they don’t extend me? How do I sound like I’m not trying to hang them over a barrel? Or should I even try – perhaps I’ll just do my best and cross fingers.

Been there more times than I count. You should say something - but the trick is to do it without sounding vindictive or grasping. You should praise the guys (sounds like they have enthusiasm). Don't mention an extension - it's up to the client to decide that.
            By speaking you have behaved like a proper consultant, not a fly-by-night operator.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Agreed.

If the client does not automatically extend, make sure he is aware the door is open for him to call you when the sh11t inevitably hits the fan.

If the technology is as niche as you say, you may not have to wait long.

Comment

Working...
              X