• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Shift work - IR35 caught automatically?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shift work - IR35 caught automatically?

Am considering taking a 6 month role working shifts. 12 hours, 4 days on, 4 days off.

Would you expect this is be inside, or is it possible that it could be outside, IR35?

Originally posted by ruth11 View Post
    Am considering taking a 6 month role working shifts. 12 hours, 4 days on, 4 days off.

Would you expect this is be inside, or is it possible that it could be outside, IR35?
    depends on the reason for working shifts.

If it's 24 hour support split into 2 shift patterns, then I'd say yes.

If it's because you can only perform your duties between say 8pm and 8am then that would be ok.

To look good for IR35 you have to satisfy 3 main criteria.

Can you substitute ?
    Is there Direction & Control ?
    and MOO ?

The D&C one is the one that would catch you.....
    Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Yes, it's proper shift support work on a 24/7 basis. That's what I thought about it and that makes it not worth my while.
      Thanks

Comment

I'm not convinced that it does make it inside IR35, to be honest.

If the nature of the role is to provide support (for example), then you need to be working when there are users there. This is not a case of direction and control, more a case of no-one could do the job working at different times.

It's been discussed before - ISTR Mal suggesting that even the most mundane shift work can be argued outside of IR35, if you can argue that the shift pattern does not amount to direction and control. If you can argue that you are there to provide support to the users, then it is not an unreasonable assumption that you need to be there when the users are there - the client is not dictating when you are there, or controlling you, but reasonable business sense indicates that you need to work a shift to deliver your contractual obligations.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by ruth11 View Post
          Yes, it's proper shift support work on a 24/7 basis. That's what I thought about it and that makes it not worth my while.
          Thanks
          Ermm....
          If you have to work certain hours because otherwise you simply cannot do the job, that's business necessity, not D&C. Shift working does not mean IR35 caught. Don't sign away 20% of your income, or turn down work, without making sure...
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Ok, so being on a rota, working 12 hour shifts (2 days, 2 nights, then 4 days off) doesn't necessarily mean D&C? So what does constitute D&C?

Comment

In it's most basic terms , D&C is the client telling you what to do and when, when there is no sound business reason for having to do that and then.

I.e.:
              You have to be at your desk for 9 A.M. to develop this software is D&C

You have to be available to support the users from 9 A.M. because that is when the users require spupport is not D&C

EDIT:
              Sorry, the above is not strictly true, there are no set rules for D&C, what I should have said is that the first one is more likely to be deemed D&C and the second wone is less likeley to be termed D&C.

It' all boils down to the contract.
              If you are contracted to provide support between 9 and 12 then there is no D&C in my opinion, however if you are contracted to provided 3 hours of support a day, and are then told to do it from 9 - 12, then D&C could be argued.
              Last edited by r0bly0ns; 5 November 2007, 15:46.

Comment

Originally posted by r0bly0ns View Post
                In it's most basic terms , D&C is the client telling you what to do and when, when there is no sound business reason for having to do that and then.

I.e.:
                You have to be at your desk for 9 A.M. to develop this software is D&C

You have to be available to support the users from 9 A.M. because that is when the users require spupport is not D&C

EDIT:
                Sorry, the above is not strictly true, there are no set rules for D&C, what I should have said is that the first one is more likely to be deemed D&C and the second wone is less likeley to be termed D&C.

It' all boils down to the contract.
                If you are contracted to provide support between 9 and 12 then there is no D&C in my opinion, however if you are contracted to provided 3 hours of support a day, and are then told to do it from 9 - 12, then D&C could be argued.
                That's how I would interpret it, too - the first example seems pretty clearly D&C. The second is fulfilling your contract as a business necessity.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  That's how I would interpret it, too - the first example seems pretty clearly D&C. The second is fulfilling your contract as a business necessity.
                  Agreed - it's no different to having to go onsite to use the client's kit because they won't allow remote access. The defence is that the constraint, whatever it may be, is necessary to fulfil the contract.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Cool - thanks chaps. I'll go with it then for now and then if I get it, I'll get the contract checked out.

Comment

Working...
                    X