• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice sought - new to the game

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice sought - new to the game

Hello, firstly allow me to introduce myself, my name is Aled, I'm 33 and I come from North Wales. Ive just given up a permanent positon as a Desktop Support Technician and have moved to London to start a career as an IT contractor, Ive spent hours and hours researching the subject both on this excellent site and others, but I'm still confused about some things and was hoping you may be able to point me in the right direction.
    So I'm at my laptop in my new London pad searching though jobserve, have applyied for some positions but havent had any feedback, but not sure if I know what to do if I do get offered a contract..... Do I....

1) Sign up with an Umberella company first before getting a contract?
    (going the umberella route for first contract, then will see about ltd ltr)

2) Do I need to register my employment status with hmrc? (i.e. self employed) or is there something else I need to do?

3) Should I register with specific agencies and arrange to call in for a chat? Or will applying with my cv through jobserve do?

I guess I'm scared of landing a contract that I cant fulfill because of not having the required paperwork and other admin in place.
    Can anyone perhaps offer a step by step procedure? or any other advice or insights.

Cheers,
    Aled.

Working...
X