• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

mac attack

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mac attack

I've been trying to get my XP enable laptop to use the laser printer that is attached to an Airport which in turn is joined to the home network, all wireless.

24 hours later fighting with XP, typing this port, IP address things I don't really understand nor want to, i gave up.

Went along to the apple shop bought a mac mini was printing within 20 minutes after taking it out of the box... hurmff
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Which just goes to show......you don't know sheet about computers.

Comment

I'm a mathematician not an IT guru -
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

In XP you need to do the IP address, port, thingy

HTH

YMMV
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

The fact is the mac did all that for him and you wonder why people use them.

I sat at my PC laptop this morning and wonder who, in their rights minds, would actually fork out money for one of these things?

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeHopper View Post
            would actually fork out money for one of these things?
            I would: it is cheaper, a lot more software and I don't want to support a single manufacturer of Macs - Apple, IBM did the right thing and opened up PCs and that's why they won.

Comment

But I don't wish to subsides companies that produce carp.

I will subsides the odd trout fishery but not carp lakes.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                it is cheaper,
                Not if you buy a Windows laptop of equivalent build quality to a Mac.

a lot more software
                A Mac can run Windows (and therefore all software that runs on Windows), either natively via BootCamp or under virtualisation via Parallels or VMWare. A Windows laptop can't run Mac software (without extreme and unsupported kernel hackery). Therefore a Mac can run much more software than a Windows-only machine.

and I don't want to support a single manufacturer of Macs - Apple, IBM did the right thing and opened up PCs and that's why they won.
                IBM lost by opening up their architecture as it allowed other manufacturers to compete with them. In fact, having an open PC architecture almost destroyed IBM in the mid-to-late 80s, hence their (doomed) attempt to lock things down again with the PS/2 range and OS/2.

I'm not sure why you would be so concerned about there being a "single manufacturer of Macs" - we're talking a laptop here, not a mainframe installation that will require ongoing support for the next twenty years. Any modern laptop is pretty much obsolete within six months of purchase anyway.

Comment

IBM lost, but the consumers won and this is what matters.

Apple in this case was good only because IBM had to follow another strategy to beat them, but now Apple is anachronism that just won't die: they should stick to gadgets like iPod.

Why would I want to double boot on "Mac" when I can have cheaper PC that won't pay Apple premium? PC is a standard that everyone aligns itself to, Macs are just annoying bunch of people who are helping the Big Brother to self-identify themselves by buying Macs

As for running Macs software on a PC - who cares about Mac software, even Photoshop now targets mainly PCs? Face it - you lost.

Comment

I just want to get on with my work and not fiddle about with things I don't understand... OS X allows me to do this that simple. Understanding XP only works if you were born around the same time B Gate's listed a new company called Microsoft.

Comment

Working...
                    X