• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agencies - not as good as they used to be

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agencies - not as good as they used to be

Is it just me or are other people finding it increasingly more difficult to get simple contract extensions processed via the clients 'resourcing team's and the agencies 'contract team's? It has taken me three weeks this time and it's still not sorted. There seems to be a further two parties involved now who are the process monkeys who are inevitably offshored so no-one can actually speak to, cajole or threaten anyone to make things happen.

Also, why isn't my agency contact moving heaven and earth to get this sorted? Are they not on commission anymore?

Wasn't like this 10 years ago!
    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Vote with your feet - and blame the agency for their lack of response.

(and I don't mean put a pen inbetween your toes).

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
      Is it just me or are other people finding it increasingly more difficult to get simple contract extensions processed via the clients 'resourcing team's and the agencies 'contract team's? It has taken me three weeks this time and it's still not sorted. There seems to be a further two parties involved now who are the process monkeys who are inevitably offshored so no-one can actually speak to, cajole or threaten anyone to make things happen.

Also, why isn't my agency contact moving heaven and earth to get this sorted? Are they not on commission anymore?

Wasn't like this 10 years ago!
      The "game" has now become so processed orientated and margins are so low that not only has the incentive for extending these contracts disappeared but also no single person has any ownership of the "problem". Nor is it easy for you or your boss to cut through the carp, without either getting knuckles rapped or feeling that you are banging your heads against a wall. I am not having a whine about margins, just to say that lower ones dont exactly get the agency moving, which prior to the "process invasion" did not really matter as if the agency didnt respond you could always cut them out altogether.
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Sounds like time to cut the agents out for good.

The only usefull service an agency provides is factoring, and there are companies out there that do this standalone.

Comment

On my last contract i was direct, but then the client brought in a vendor management company to manage the agencies and direct suppliers. I had to pay them 3% of gross for the honour of getting paid a month later and they acted like they were doing me a favour.
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            Sounds like time to cut the agents out for good.

The only usefull service an agency provides is factoring, and there are companies out there that do this standalone.
            So how are you all going to find your contracts then?
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

They find me.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                They find me.
                It must be a right pain for hiring managers to have to go around looking under so many stones to find you DP

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                  So how are you all going to find your contracts then?
                  Go through Jobserve, work out who the client is from the description, and approach them direct.

Not that I would so such a thing - I like dealing with most of the agents that I have dealt with.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    Go through Jobserve, work out who the client is from the description, and approach them direct.

Not that I would so such a thing - I like dealing with most of the agents that I have dealt with.
                    Presuming we are discussing there being no agents then:

You and 1000 others plus half the population of Delhi
                    And who places the ad on jobserve?

Comment

Working...
                    X