• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you actually make anything on mileage?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you actually make anything on mileage?

I guess 40p per mile would seem reasonable but if it's your own business then if you didn't do the mileage you could pay the 40p as salary and pocket 24p so you are only really gaining 16p per mile. After 10k miles of course when you pay 25p, you are only gaining 10p a mile. Better than nowt but I think you are still loosing out and there's no profit to be made.

Am I missing something?

Originally posted by Hiram King Of Tyre View Post
    I guess 40p per mile would seem reasonable but if it's your own business then if you didn't do the mileage you could pay the 40p as salary and pocket 24p so you are only really gaining 16p per mile. After 10k miles of course when you pay 25p, you are only gaining 10p a mile. Better than nowt but I think you are still loosing out and there's no profit to be made.

Am I missing something?
    It's tax deductable
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

I do about 30000 miles a year (business only) so every penny counts for me.
      Thats the way the cookie crumbles

Comment

Originally posted by Hiram King Of Tyre View Post

Am I missing something?
        There are very few cars that actually cost less than 40p a mile to run when you include fuel, depreciation, insurance, servicing, etc.

So most people make a loss, but it's better than nothing!

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
          It's tax deductable
          Yes but I've factored that in haven't I. Can you run a car on 16p/10p a mile? Unless I'm missing something, even 40p/mile doesn't pay....

Comment

Why can nobody on the internet spell "losing" or "lose"?

With all expenses the amount you actually gain is the tax you pay. When I started I was with an umbrella, so was paying 40% income tax and 40% of the mileage expenses made me a couple of pounds per day over the cost of the petrol. So I was better off driving 180 miles per day than if I'd lived next door to the client.

Now I have a Ltd. it wouldn't work out like that.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

It's a nice little earner in terms of tax savings if you run a banger and clock up plenty of miles. Just done some fag packet figures and I'm making quite a decent profit on my annual motoring.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post

With all expenses the amount you actually gain is the tax you pay. When I started I was with an umbrella, so was paying 40% income tax and 40% of the mileage expenses made me a couple of pounds per day over the cost of the petrol. So I was better off driving 180 miles per day than if I'd lived next door to the client.

Right, exactly. So, you gain 16p/10p per mile. I don't think you can run a car on that.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post

Annoying isn't it. Especially those that don't use capital letters at the start of a sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
                    It's a nice little earner in terms of tax savings if you run a banger and clock up plenty of miles. Just done some fag packet figures and I'm making quite a decent profit on my annual motoring.
                    I'd like to see your figures. At 10p per mile, that would just about cover the fuel surely?

Comment

Working...
                    X