• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

London contracting, Travelodges etc.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

London contracting, Travelodges etc.

Never done it meself, but I see quite a few £500 a day gigs for VBA and other such numpty stuff.

Got to admit to being tempted to give that a pop for 6 months, so where is a decent yet cheap-ish place to stay within easy reach of the City?

I wouldn't be interested in staying in a dive but what about Travelodges and the like? Reasonable standard/rates?

Depends on where you want to be. Premier Inn in South Wimbledon is about £300 a week - no idea what it's like, though.

Gumtree or niceroom do room rentals on a 3 or 6 month contract - I'm doing some viewings next week as I start in London on Monday.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Depends how long your gig would be for. If it's 6+ months then look at www.gumtree.co.uk for digs. Works out cheaper and you can leave your toothpaste behind at the weekends.

I hate hotel rooms when staying in them for 4 nights a week for months and months.

Loads to get out and do in London too. I work three days at home and two days in London which is great. Just one hotel night a week and plenty to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
        Never done it meself, but I see quite a few £500 a day gigs for VBA and other such numpty stuff.

Got to admit to being tempted to give that a pop for 6 months, so where is a decent yet cheap-ish place to stay within easy reach of the City?

I wouldn't be interested in staying in a dive but what about Travelodges and the like? Reasonable standard/rates?
        Travelodge do £15 rooms if booked in advance there are a few west london way within easy reach of a tube stop. You will go mad though!

Easyroommate is probably a better option
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

The Shelbourne in Kensington is worth a look, I stayed there a few weeks ago for 3 nights.

Its rated as a 2 star hotel, but my room was huge, flat screen TV in it, and en-suite of course.

Under £20 for long term residents

Plus free wifi
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

I recently had a large brick garage built at the end of my back garden. It's double glazed and has a pitched roof. It is single walled and there's no running water but the hosepipe extends to the garage. There is electricity so you can bring your own heater to plug or I'll provide one.

You can have access to the garden for your morning duties and for chilling out after work.

£100 / week. Water and electricity bills are extra.

Comment

Currently doing it myself - 3.5 hours commuting some days, otherwise staying over in any one of the random budget hotels around Docklands, usually for sub £50 night.

Not quite sure why though, as I normally don't have any problem getting the same rate closer to home. Must be my misguided desire for working on a big programme.

At the £50 or less a night I'm paying, it's certainly cheaper than renting, and less hassle...even if a little soulless sometimes.

Comment

Shim,

all the best, it won't be easy to be away from home and the children.

Best of luck,

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post

These £500 a day gigs: Are they IR35 caught, in general?

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
                    These £500 a day gigs: Are they IR35 caught, in general?
                    Why should they be?

Without knowing the contract and working practices, there's no chance of an accurate answer - probably not caught though.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X