• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Prebooked holiday prior to signing contract - what to do

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prebooked holiday prior to signing contract - what to do

Hi guys,

First post, first time contracting. I've handed my notice in with my employer and am currently negotiating to get my first contract. Question is, with a holiday already planned in early next year for 2 weeks what's the best approach (bearing in mind between me and my missus we've already blown the 3k on the holiday so I won't be cancelling).

Do I,

a) Negotiate this with the agent and get it written into the contract so I'm not shafted down the line

b) Sign the contract and negotiate this with the client

c) Get a job down tescos until after the holiday

Reading some posts holidays seem to be a grey area for contractors. Don't want to end up taking on my first job and then finding myself in a mess in terms of not being able to take the time off.

Any help appreciated

Cheers,
    Chris

First post so took a while till the moderator cleared it. I'm sure that's why there's no replies. And not that I'm immediately dislikeable.

I.e. bump.

Anyone got any advice?

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisM View Post

Anyone got any advice?
      Nope.
      l l l http://www.thewantedfans.com

Comment

First post so took a while till the moderator cleared it. I'm sure that's why there's no replies. And not that I'm immediately dislikeable.

I.e. bump.

Anyone got any advice?
        Wrong. You'll fit in nicely!
        Sasguru

Comment

Hi guys,

First post, first time contracting. I've handed my notice in with my employer and am currently negotiating to get my first contract. Question is, with a holiday already planned in early next year for 2 weeks what's the best approach (bearing in mind between me and my missus we've already blown the 3k on the holiday so I won't be cancelling).

Do I,

a) Negotiate this with the agent and get it written into the contract so I'm not shafted down the line

Reading some posts holidays seem to be a grey area for contractors. Don't want to end up taking on my first job and then finding myself in a mess in terms of not being able to take the time off.

Any help appreciated

Cheers,
          Chris

Go with option B). You should dictate the days, time etc that you work and therefore should be able to tae days off when it suits you. Obviously dependent on the nature of the work you do you should keep the clients goals/milestones etc in mind when you do this.

Comment

It is a tricky one. If its a good contract then take it and don't mention the holiday, then play it by ear and try and casually throw it in the mix when you've got your brownie points up with the client. They'll hopefully smile and say no problem, if they say NO, then its time for Plan B (?). In my current gig I accidently 'forgot' to tell them my Mrs was expecting a month or so into the contract.

Comment

Hi guys,

Do I,

Any help appreciated

Cheers,
              Chris
              How long is the Holiday after the contract starts?
              The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

I'd just tell them up front. They may not mind at all. On the other hand, if you casually tell your manager at 5.30 on a Friday that you're taking the next 2 weeks off and to hell with his schedule, he's likely to rethink his staff requirements.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Negotiate with the client, most wont mind, or you could cancel the holiday, the way to look at is:

If Holiday cost < daily rate x 2??
                  AND client doesn't want you to fo on holiday

THEN
                  cancel !!!

Comment

Originally posted by SandyDown View Post
                    Negotiate with the client, most wont mind, or you could cancel the holiday, the way to look at is:

If Holiday cost < daily rate x 2??
                    AND client doesn't want you to fo on holiday

THEN
                    cancel !!!

you can normally get some of the holiday cost back as well.
                    Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Working...
                    X