• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Evening meals whilst working away

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evening meals whilst working away

I know this has probably done the rounds before but I can't find a straight answer,

I'm currently working away from home living in rented accommodation, my accountant has told me I can only claim £5 a night for a meal as subsistence and that needs to be receipted.

I was under the impression that you could reimburse the full cost of an evening meal up to a reasonable amount whilst working away and get a £5 a night subsistence allowance for general odds and sods, any one got a definitive take on this?
    Some people are like slinkys, totally pointless but the thought of pushing them down a flight of stairs never fails to put a smile on your face.

If I'm working away from home (i.e. staying in a hotel) I always expense the full cost of meal + drinks (reasonable of course). I did this while I was permie and I'm a permie of my Ltd. co now so what's different

Comment

If you are working away, then you can claim £5 a day in the UK or £10 outside the UK with no need for receipts for odds and ends.

You can claim for subsistence bills that you would not normally incur - for example, you should not claim for lunch. If you are staying away from home, then you can claim other meals.

Even if you are not working away, and for an unusual reason (e.g. you suddenly need to work until 10pm one night) you incur a food bill, then you can still claim that.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Thanks TheFaQQer, I will have a word with my accountant
        Some people are like slinkys, totally pointless but the thought of pushing them down a flight of stairs never fails to put a smile on your face.

Comment

You can claim anything you like from your company just as you could when you were a permie. It all depends on how generous your ex company's expenses policy was and how generous your current company's policy is. Don't however get these confused with Her Maj's policies on what's taxable for you as a BIK or taxable for your company.

K

Comment

I'm new to this lark. Does the same apply too, if the permanent place of work is away from home i.e. 300 miles away? Could lodgings be claimed also?

Comment

The best way to consider it is; if I were working for a consultancy, would I expect them to pay this expense. If you think "yes" then ask your accountant whether it's likely to be a BIK. If not, then go ahead.

Also ask your accountant, what, typically, you can claim as a business expense without BIK tax being due.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by shelby68 View Post
                I know this has probably done the rounds before but I can't find a straight answer,

I'm currently working away from home living in rented accommodation, my accountant has told me I can only claim £5 a night for a meal as subsistence and that needs to be receipted.

I was under the impression that you could reimburse the full cost of an evening meal up to a reasonable amount whilst working away and get a £5 a night subsistence allowance for general odds and sods, any one got a definitive take on this?
                Are you Ltd or Umbrella ?

If ltd you can get your ltd to pay for any amount, however you yourself may have to pay BIK tax on anything you do claim.

Also it's best to work along the lines of - only claim ofr things you have got a reciept for - the exception to this is milage.
                Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird View Post
                  Are you Ltd or Umbrella ?

If ltd you can get your ltd to pay for any amount, however you yourself may have to pay BIK tax on anything you do claim.

Also it's best to work along the lines of - only claim ofr things you have got a reciept for - the exception to this is milage.
                  Limited

Comment

All this is covered in booklet 490 if you can find it. I can never find bugger all on the HMRC website since the merger thing. 480 is useful too.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X