• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Even Finland is getting bonkers?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even Finland is getting bonkers?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7084349.stm

Finland shocked at fatal shooting
    By Sean Crowley
    Helsinki

Children are evacuated from the Jokela school
    Students at the Jokela school were the target of a vicious attack

The Finnish village of Jokela, where an 18-year-old gunman killed eight people and himself at a high school on Wednesday, was quiet as night fell, with friends and family of the dead and injured in deep shock.

Candles could be seen burning in many windows - a Finnish traditional mark of respect for the dead.

"This is a peaceful place, nothing like this has happened and nothing like this is to be expected either," Tuusula mayor Hannu Joensivu said.

Eight people were confirmed dead in the shooting in southern Finland - one day after a video predicting the mass killings was published on the internet.

The incident occurred at Jokela School in the municipality of Tuusula, about 30 miles (48km) north of the capital, Helsinki.

Finnish police said five male pupils, two females and the middle-aged female principal were shot dead when the 18-year-old pupil entered the building at around midday with a .22 calibre handgun and started shooting randomly.

The atmosphere at Helsinki's Toolo hospital was subdued on Wednesday evening as relatives and friends sought information about those involved in the deadly incident.

"This is the end of our world - the end of Finland," one distraught relative crying in the snow outside the hospital, said.

Tranquillity shattered

The shooting in this quiet community is the worst of its kind in Scandinavia.

Grab showing photo of Sturmgeist89 on YouTube
    I'm a natural selector and will eliminate all those I see as unfit
    Sturmgeist89 on YouTube

Pictures from the school

Finnish Prime Minister Matti Vanhanen told reporters the shooting was an "extremely sad event".

What is particularly chilling about this killing, rare indeed in peaceful Finland, is that a video was published on Tuesday on YouTube by a user going by the pseudonym Sturmgeist 89, celebrating the fact that he was about to launch an attack.

The video was called "The Jokela High School Massacre".

The video was set to a hard-driving song called "Stray Bullet", and showed a still photo of a low building that appeared to be Jokela High School.

During the video the photo dissolves into a picture of a man pointing a handgun at the camera.

Auvinen, described as holding extreme views, is also thought to be responsible for another video recently posted on You Tube called "Just testing my gun" where an individual dressed in black shoots a pistol at a piece of fruit in a snowy forest.

"I'm a natural selector and will eliminate all those I see as unfit," Sturmgeist89 wrote on You Tube recently.

The suspected gunman, Pekka-Erik Auvinen, who had no criminal record and was legally entitled to possess a firearm, was reportedly banned from You Tube for posting videos of a violent nature, but re-registered with the site recently under a different name.

Emergency measures

Finland's government met in an emergency session on Wednesday evening and is already talking of beefing up security in and around school premises.

There are no walls fences or gates around most Finnish schools and anyone can walk in to school buildings, particularly in smaller towns and cities.

A crisis centre has been set up to relay news to parents and the Finnish Red Cross has also set up a hotline for those needing help in dealing with the crisis.

Gun ownership per capita in Finland is the third highest in the world, although incidents of this kind are extremely rare in a country that prides itself on very low levels of violent crime.

An attack by a young suicide bomber on a shopping mall in Helsinki in 2002, where seven people died, including the bomber, is the only such incident of this kind that has occurred in Finland in living memory.
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

What are you? Yesterday's news?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      What are you? Yesterday's news?

House prices, immigration anyone?
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

I heard a quiz on the radio once where the Disc Jockey asked for the name of a country in Europe beginning with "F". He wouldn't accept Finland because, he said, "I think you'll find that's over in Scandanavia".

So the poor sod lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
          House prices, immigration anyone?
          They will be tomorrows news. Mark my words.

Comment

The Finns have always been nuts. This is not news. Not too long ago a student at Helsinki Uni blew himself and 7 other people up in a shopping mall. And no it was NOT Islam related.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              The Finns have always been nuts.
              True. The Finnish people I know and have met are/have been eccentric.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                We had a very intense Finn as a student here last year... did some good work.

Finland has the highest suicide rate in the world.

Apparently.
                They have a rather nice word though, Finlandisation... I blame the Russians.

Comment

The Finnish sense of humour is very similar to ours, they're facial expressions are as miserable as the ones Londoners pull though.
                  The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                    The Finnish sense of humour is very similar to ours, they're facial expressions are as miserable as the ones Londoners pull though.
                    Quite right, Londoners and Finns don't walk about grinning for no reason like the gurning idiots up north
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X